Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out in the gulf last Sunday bouncing around and was told that the bottom returns I was seeing was like that because we were rising and falling.
Looked something like the left side of the screen, just the red stuff.
That correct?

Whitehill.jpg

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that really bites the big one. That means some of the areas I thought was pockmarked with holes aren't. :mad:

BTW that screenshot is Whitehill Reef area. Zoomed in it looked fishy. Altho there is that green returns.......

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have never understood that. Doesn't the signal from the transducer travel at the speed of sound? I could understand how you can get exaggerated bottom in very deep water but I dont get 1-2' elevations relatively shallow water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chart speed will also change the bottom appearance a bit. I think slow is more spiky and fast less so-sawtooth vs sine wave.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have never understood that. Doesn't the signal from the transducer travel at the speed of sound? I could understand how you can get exaggerated bottom in very deep water but I dont get 1-2' elevations relatively shallow water.
It's the depth changing as the boat rolls over the waves.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,655 Posts
Was out in the gulf last Sunday bouncing around and was told that the bottom returns I was seeing was like that because we were rising and falling.
Looked something like the left side of the screen, just the red stuff.
That correct?

View attachment 1055478

C'mon dude, you think the boat going up and down isn't going to be represented on the screen. old people psstttt. :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't worry I have fished that area and there are spots out there. But being close people kept coming coming up next the boat and stealing my numbers so now I just go further out.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
C'mon dude, you think the boat going up and down isn't going to be represented on the screen. old people psstttt. :D
If I had my tub out there that day, it would have been full of water.

The Whitehill screen shot was maybe a foot BUT believe I had the screen running as fast as it could. Was also getting the spaghetti fish images.
Maybe there is hope. :shifty:

BTW see a female laying on her back in this image?

Shallow Hybrid (2).PNG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts