Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the family fishing on Saturday. The snapper bite was slow and we managed our limit of 18". What was interesting was that we caught 4-5 young cobia for each snapper. Is it normal for that many young cobia to hang out this time of year? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems my newbies have a nack for catching those by reeling real slow at the surface...best way to catch them I've seen, often catching the same one numerous times when released....:bangin:

·
Registered
45 Posts
All seriousness though we too have caught a few 20-24" ones while bottom fishing lately and didn't catch any like that last year???

·
Bearded Brotula
11,722 Posts
They're a blast when they crash your sabiki and then fling the gold hooks of death all around the boat. Last time I got into them, I pulled those dang hooks out of both arms and legs. They went bat shit crazy once I brought them over the gunwhale.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,987 Posts
I think it's a baby cobia. I have some mounted that look just like it. Why would the charter captain lie to me?
That's not a Cobia, it's a baby Ling. I caught bunches of those. Them suckers will eat most anything. They're great grilled. :shifty:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts