Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very concernedabout the impact of the incoming Oil Spill this morning, I hatched a plan I call <span style="text-decoration: underline;">Boom the Bridges as an additonal layer of protection to Grass Beds, Marsh lands, Oyster reefs and our Upper Bay ecosystems.

The plan has been well received and is under consideration in both Counties. Here is a copy of my email to the Escambia BOCC........

Gentlemen and Marie,

While I am confident that you are taking action to protect us from the Oil Spill, as Chairman of the SRC MAC, I have contacted our SRCCommissioners and Emergency Management People and am requesting that we BOOM the Bridges as an additional layer ofprecaution. Our Emergency people seem to think this plan has merit.

The bridges would provide <span style="text-decoration: underline;">strategic points to <span style="text-decoration: underline;">collect and skim any oil that escapes the Pensacola Pass. The oil would collect and build at High Tide which then could beskimmed and removed. Once one set of bridges is complete, the tide will continue to move to the next set of bridges and repeat the process.

Bob Sykes, 3 Mile Bridge,, and I10 are all shared bridges whileGarcon Point is SRC.

This plan should provide significant mitigation of our vast <span style="text-decoration: underline;">Marsh <span style="text-decoration: underline;">areas, Bays and Upper Bay Systems critical to our fishery, oystering, and the economic disater that awaits us.

Our fish and bait are hatching right this <span style="text-decoration: underline;">minute, the upper bay is loaded with bait, millions of them, if this oil hits this hatch it will kill them all!

We will need approximately 16 + miles of boom for this project! Lets hope we get this ideathru the layers ofthose in charge of this clean up process, and canact swiftly to protect our interests!

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is certainly a good idea. I live on upper Perdido Bay--and the Lillian Bridge would be a logical barrier.

A problem is that in Perdido Bay, even at this narrow part, there can be significant chop, which might push oil over the barrier.

I am prepared to boom off our specific small bayou, and suggest that others do the same if there is a threat of oil into the bays.

My proposal is to use the pool noodles--Walmart $2 for the small size and $4 for the larger size. They are 5' long. The "Skirt" can be made of the clear poly material which is 3 mil or so. Monel staples can be used to make the "tube" in which the pool noodles and poly rope are inserted--and to attatche several of these together. 18" deep (with a few sinkers on the bottom) will be plenty--maybe only 12" or less is fine, They can be stapled to a piling, tree or use rebar to bring them to the shore line.

These would only be temporary. So far all of the folks on our bayou/canal are in favor of this proposal.

These side bayous and canals do not have the chop that entrances or major bodies of water have.

Earlier this week, some of the JP8 spill at the Barrs bridge made its way into Bayou Marcus--which is about 16 miles away. By keeping the shoreline and fish in these bayous protected, it may help in a small way to helpsave our fisheries.

Thoughts welcomed.

I am contacting Turpin and the BOC about the bridges idea.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Way to go guys. No bitching or complaining, orwaiting onthe Govt to do something. Stand up and get it done!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Neoprene also breaks down in oil. Be careful with any wetsuits, booties, waders, etc.

Great ideas guys - keep them coming!

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
So you boom the bridge.

Oil collects against the booms.

What is the plan to collect and discard the oil?

What tools would be required to skim this type of oil?

·
Registered
168 Posts
"pool noddles" are made ofpolyethylenefoam which isresilient to anypetroleumproducts I have found to test it against... Yes I have tested this material a lot being a design engineer for a Major Foam Fabricator. the only Thing that will break it down over time (very slowly) is sunlight. By the end of the summer in this application you will be able to feel some deterioration of the material but not enough to take away from it's ability to perform this function.

·
Registered
337 Posts
all you need to absorb the oil is oil absorbent pads or absorbent boom... angle the collection boom to accumulate it in pockets and then use the pads to soak up the oil off the top.... ii have had to get diesel off of our potable water several times after hands hooking up the hose's backwards.... this sucks because it usually mean we have water in the diesel....

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am told that currently there are 2 vessels in Pensacola Bay that arecalled Skimmers; they can collect and dispose of this oil in an evironmentally sound manner. One proposal that I've heard andthat sounds very sensiblewould call for the Pass to be boomed and then use the booms to funnel the oil to an area where the skimmers could pick up /skim the oil and dispose of it.

However, it is unreasonable to think that this method will be 100% effective. That's why I hatched the BOOM the Bridges planas an additional saftey net. It too will not be 100%. But each bridge acts asan additional saftey net. Its like an additional filter, each step improves our chances of success!I feel this gives us the best chance to protect sensitive upper bay estuaries.

In this manner, <span style="text-decoration: underline;">by following the high tide, we have a predictable schedule, and let Mother Nature work for us by piling the oil up against the boom for skimming. As the tide carries the oil to the next bridge we repeat the processand then wait for the next High tide to repeat the process.

Of course, this is just one aspect of measures needed, but its a start.

If we act in advance of the oils arrival we increase our chances of success!

·
Registered
156 Posts
With the current winds and seas, the booms on the beach and passes not be fully effective. Major passes are even more problamatic--with high current flow. The ICW bridges might have to be maned to open the boom if comercial traffic needs access (including the Crist power plant).

Yes, oil absorb pads work very well to pick up both light and heavy petrolium products. Using polyethylene sheeting is resistant to the oil (as are the noodles, but you try and completely block the entrances with the poly sheeting.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great idea to try and protect the natural hatchery and ecosystems. Hopefully it will not fall on deaf ears. Also , I am a very busy contractor but not to busy to volunteer to help deploy any booms....anytime. I will offer my support whether it be on land or in the water, as I am sure many others from this forum will do as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good idea ...will have to be some coordination with the Coast Guard WRTbarge traffic to Gulf Power as they like to ride the high tide up to the river.....could have a swing section of boom in the channel to be moved when the barge needs to come through or just have them moor to their stationary anchorage in the lower Escambia bay until the skimmers work out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
NO response from any of the Escambia County commissioners. But to his credit, Robert Turpin did respond with the following:

Thanks Bob. Our preference is to funnel concentrated oil to skimmers at the natural constrictions inside the passes. As you noted, booms alone won't stop oil on flood tide. Hopefully Alabama will do similar at Perdido Pass.
They have approx. 30000 feet of boom; could use more!

I asked if Escambia Co has the resources ready to do that? Where they were going to going to funnel andskim? I am pesimistic and do not believe that this will work if there is much wind or current.

I just returned from a drive Johnson Beach to Gulf Shores AL. There do not appear to be any booms deployed along any of the Florida shoreline. Perdido pass: There is a boom on both sides of the sand bar inside (North ) of the bridge. I did not see booms on the other sides, so I do not see any current attempt to funnel at that point. The current was running at about 2 knots [email protected] 5 PM--so any skimming would not seem possible to me with that current on a flood--also a boom across the Perdido Pass entrance does not either seem possible.

All along the Alabama shoreline (except at the pass) there were booms depolyed. However, they will not be effective. The surf/chop was breaking over the booms. The anchors for the booms did not seem to be holding well. Some were perpendicular to the beach, and there were gaps.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
So where can we getthousands of feet of booms? Aren't they really expensive? And even if we had the funds wouldn't it take to long to get them? Anyone know a marine construction company that has any? I know a few, but I doubt they have more than a few hundred feet and doubt even more that they would part with it. Anybody know where some is just lying around that could "walk off"? Hell, I'm up for anything at this point.

I've seen some booms set up around project green shores and some offshore over in Alabama, but it isn't really that much. I think the waves would be way to rough for it to work, but I will still help if we can get the boom. One boat could man a door in the boom and swing it open for barge traffic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think we should be trying to attack to spill from our end and prevent futher spread east. Florida government officials should be contacted and start developing this type of plan. Tampa, Miami, Ft.Lauderdale, Jacksonville, and maybe eastern Georgia all have shipping ports which should have hazardous response booms and materials. We should be use all the resources the state has to try to prevent the spread. Simply waiting for it to get here to me is not enough. I am not to informed about getting these ideas to who needs to hear them so help me!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe the county could rent some barges to anchor across the pass to close off the pass with booms north of them so that wind and chop issues could be reduced. It is a great idea to save everything we can from contamination. I just feel stopping penetration to the bay is our biggest hope. 90 days is a long time. Lets pray we do not get any early hurricanes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts