Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting overlooking a greenfield at Camp Killamofo, when I see my favorite thing to hate, off in the distance behind the greenfield. I figured the range using the old golf course method, and figure it's at least a driver and a five iron away. If you had ever seen me play golf, that equals about 185 yards. Let the little Kimber bark, and she was DRT. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
I guess it's mating season?? Man they were sounding off at camp last week right after dark. Gave me the heebeegeebees!!!!
Thanks for knocking one down!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one died at 4:20.

You know, they really aren't that big of a target.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm just a tad jealous. Two yotes hit the ground tonight and I haven't seen one the last two days I have sat. Nice dog.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'm at the point in my hunting career where I've probably killed enough deer, but I don't think I'll ever kill enough coyotes. Just after dark, it's not unusual to hear at least three different packs doing that goshawful squealing and yodeling from any point on our lease. Damn turkey-eating, fawn-killing sonsabitches.

Brandon, coyotes are simply targets of opportunity when I'm deer hunting, but I called one in last year using a turkey call to cover my noise when I walked to my stand. Busted his ass, too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I guess I'm at the point in my hunting career where I've probably killed enough deer, but I don't think I'll ever kill enough coyotes. Just after dark, it's not unusual to hear at least three different packs doing that goshawful squealing and yodeling from any point on our lease. Damn turkey-eating, fawn-killing sonsabitches.

Brandon, coyotes are simply targets of opportunity when I'm deer hunting, but I called one in last year using a turkey call to cover my noise when I walked to my stand. Busted his ass, too. :thumbsup:
Yeah I hear them all the time right at dark. I just have to find the right tune to play.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Good job.
Every few days, I will police my yard with a shovel cleaning up after (what I thought) was my dog's messes. I couldn't figure out why I was finding so many piles and in places my dog doesn't normally go. Then I noticed what appeared to be cat hair in some of the piles.
Dadgum, coyote crap 30' from my front door and I live in a major neighborhood in Pace. I've actually seen two of them , one at 6:00 am and one at 10:30 pm.
So glad to see you are thinning them out.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Curious what folks do with the yotes when they get em? I see a lot of pictures in the back of trucks, so do some people skin them or is it just show/tell/dump? Also, I don't care either way, just curious.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Curious what folks do with the yotes when they get em? I see a lot of pictures in the back of trucks, so do some people skin them or is it just show/tell/dump? Also, I don't care either way, just curious.
I was wondering the samething. Y'all might call me crazy but I know a guy that I was in training with in Fort Gordon and he showed me pictures of all the coyotes they kill and he said a lot of the time the skin them, tan the hides, and they eat them to. At first I thought he was completely crazy for eating them but as from what he stated they taste kind of like duck. I guess you can't knock it until you try it. I have only shot one in my life and that was with my bow. That was when I was about 16 years old and I just left it there. Next one I shoot I'm going to try it. Can't be worse than eating a bear or racoon (which actually weren't bad). All are omnivores.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
I don't know about eating it, but that's just a social sway more than anything I think, we just don't eat dogs in Merica haha. But, if it's good, post up. I heard the hides aren't all that great down here but out west or in colder climates the pelts can be big bucks. Maybe skull mounts??? Gotta be something to do with them.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
All I want to do with them is get them off the land, but the one last night had two people that wanted it for the hide. The landowner's son won out.

And I went on Google Earth and used the ruler feature to measure the shot distance. It was more like 155 yards instead of 185.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts