Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, no, unless you count the crazy amount of blood that filled my footwell while getting the lure out that he inhaled.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,791 Posts
You can try it, but it'll be strong. I've eaten them before and while they aren't as bad as some have suggested, they aren't something that I'm targeting to eat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks. I'll try it for the experience but maybe won't subject the family to it.
I buried it in ice immediately then gutted about six hours later then filleted it that night late (last night) and put in bag in ice in fridge. Someone suggested no cook, lemon and soy...?

·
Bearded Brotula
11,791 Posts
I have heard that they are great sashimi if bled right away. I have tried them without bleeding and I didn't spit it out, but not sure I would try it that way again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried some at lunch. Cut sashimi sized slices. Tried one "as is" and it was fishy not in a good way. The rest went in a bowl with fresh squeezed lemon juice and soy and pepper for 10 minutes then drained (and served over rice with raw fruits and vegetables on the side). These pieces tasted fine if not good. The lemon flavor was a little strong and over powered the fish a bit. The texture was good. We'll see what my wife does with the rest tonight if she doesn't banish it from the kitchen.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
I like blackfin, and I guess bonita are low-class blackfin. I would gill and gut immediately to get the most blood out, then marinate and grill to med-rare. If I was gonna eat bonita. Which I am not.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I smoked some and made a dip for a party once. It made about a gallon and there was none left.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,026 Posts
If you boil 1/2" chunks in salty water till their done, ain't too bad for "tuna" salad.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
Chef Chris Sherrill (FBYC) has a bunch of videos on facebook where he cleans, cooks and has guests taste-test "inedible" fish. I've seen Jack Crevalle and Aligator Gar so far.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,791 Posts
Chef Chris Sherrill (FBYC) has a bunch of videos on facebook where he cleans, cooks and has guests taste-test "inedible" fish. I've seen Jack Crevalle and Aligator Gar so far.
I was just about to type that. Haven't seen a bonita one yet.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think some are mixing up False Albacore (Little Tunny) -that we call "Bonita" down here, with the real "Bonito".

Never ate a Bonito, but I have tried Bonita a couple different ways, and they suck. Could not imagine trying them raw...yuck. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts