Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up at 5 and decided to give it another try. My wife didn't want me to go because she thought the weather would be bad. I convinced her that was happening tonight so I went.

Got to the hillside above the bottom about 6:30. As I was going in I heard several deer jump in the creek and cross. I went about 200 yards downstream to where it opened up this time. Also had my climber.

The first time I went up my base was slanted down so I went down and made adjustments. By the time I got settled it was 7. About 7:15 a doe and a big yearling came running up the creek. I shot the doe and it ran 30 yards and laid down. Kinda sad because before she laid down she was grunting at the yearling like she was saying "get out of here or you will be shot too". Since you can shoot 1 doe and 1 buck I decided to sit a while longer.

Around 7:45 I glimpsed a deer running on the other side of the creek. It is thick over there. Then I heard a faint grunt so I pull out the Old Crow and hit it twice. In a few minutes I heard something cross the creek upstream out of my sight. Then I see this buck coming looking for who grunted. I shot him at 40 yards and he fell. While I was reloading he would lift his head and look around so I shot him again in the neck. My fun was over.

It took me until 10:45 to get both deer out of the bottom and loaded. I am so glad that I had made me a buggy out if an old ladder stand. 200 yards back to the deer trail that I had to trim so my buggy would go in. Up a 45 degree hill for 50 yards and then a quarter mile back to the truck. This old man was whooped.

Took both deer to Here Deer in Florala. I get home and I think every bone in my body aches but now I have some meat. This was the 8th buck that I have grunted in with this call since buying it several years ago.

Attachments

· Registered
8,699 Posts
Congrats on a fine morning. I enjoyed your story, too. I am a firm advocate of the anchor shot if the deer is still kicking.
DD just learned this lesson a second time. Mississippi boys are just hard headed, I guess. Dang, I hope that big feller don’t squash me next time we meet up🫢

· Super Moderator
34,318 Posts
Dang man, way ta get it done!!!! Congrats!!!

· Registered
8,108 Posts
That's a great writeup. Freezer should be full of venison. What meat you gettin back from the processor?
Jack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts