Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to get some kind of grip, but should I get the high dollar boga? I can always get a cheap one somewhere but is the boga worth it? Anyone have recommendations?

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
I bought one of the cheaper ones,rapala I think. Didn't have the pinchers like a boga but rolled back serated jaws that will barely grab a hold of a trouts mouth and forget about trying to get a bull reds lips when there goin nuts. I would say spend the money and get the real deal Boga just to save yourself the aggravation. Just my .02 for what its worth.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I've bought a "cheaper version" of stuff many times. Sometimes it's worked out OK, other times I've kicked myself in the butt! I can't comment on the Boga copies, but will highly recommend the real thing! Mine is aslmost 3 years old, has seen its share of salt (often w/o getting rinsed off) and still looks and works like brand new.It is a QUALITY peice of gear! Also note the article in the PNJ this week about the proper way to handle a bull red. They claim research shows hanging them by the jaw alone increases mortality. I've been guilty of that....DOH! But I've seen them all swim away! I'll try to give them more "support" in the future.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Before I bought mine I talked to a few pro staffers from various dealers, asking the same question. Unanimously they agreed on the Boga. One of these guys was actually on Rapalas pro staff. I took their advice and got the 30# model, love it! I looked at the 60# model, but it only weighs in one pound increments (the 30# weighs in 1/2lb increments).

I am, however, looking at one of the longer handled gripper that doesn't have a scale to handle small sharks, kings and other potentially dangerous species that I don't want to get my valuable fingers too close to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts