437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contender

Pursuit

Trophy

Sailfish

Edgewater

Proline

I will be looking @ used single engine center console boats in the 21 - 26 foot range for approx 20-30k. I just don't know anything about ordinary folks actually think of the brands listed above. As you would guess, salespeople tendto be a little misleading!

I just want to know basicopinion

·
Registered
168 Posts
Only experienced with a few, so I will comment only on them.

Contender - Great boats, nice ride and laid out well

Pro Line - IMHO a step down from Contender, but the price should reflect that for the same year/condition boat

Trophy - Boating on the cheap (not necessarily bad). I noticed corners cut on construction (low grade 304stainless/plastic fittings)and more gelcoat cracking on these (at least on older models). However, they catch the same fish as the more expensive boats :)

If you are looking for a good boat for the money, consider Wellcraft/Aquasport. Since you listed Contender, Yellowfin and Grady White are two other "High End" manufacturers to consider.

Again, just my opinions/observations. Any well cared for boat is nice to have and may be a good deal. But from the brands you listed,I would pick Contender first then Pursuit.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Desperado (28/04/2010)Only experienced with a few, so I will comment only on them.

Contender - Great boats, nice ride and laid out well

Pro Line - IMHO a step down from Contender, but the price should reflect that for the same year/condition boat

Trophy - Boating on the cheap (not necessarily bad). I noticed corners cut on construction (low grade 304stainless/plastic fittings)and more gelcoat cracking on these (at least on older models). However, they catch the same fish as the more expensive boats :)

If you are looking for a good boat for the money, consider Wellcraft/Aquasport. Since you listed Contender, Yellowfin and Grady White are two other "High End" manufacturers to consider.

Again, just my opinions/observations. Any well cared for boat is nice to have and may be a good deal. But from the brands you listed,I would pick Contender first then Pursuit.
+2

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
May I suggest going to http://www.boattrader.com/search/and put in your $ Range, Lenghth etc.... and see what you get. There are

other boats out there that are quality. I passed on an Edgewater and went with a Robalo and do not regret it. The Edgewater was

pretty, but VERY wet and hard riding IMHO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's not on your list, but you may want to look at Cape Horn also. I had a 21os with a 250 yamaha and now I have the 24os with twin 200 yamahas. They are a SUPER boat and in my opinion their boats & serviceare second to none. Their motto is "None Built Stronger" and when you get out there in rough seas, which you will, you will appreciate the construction. They are located in Milton, FL about 20 minutes from Pensacola, so if you ever had a problem ( which I doubt you would ) they are very close. They will give you a tour if you want, just call as set it up with Scott. They are very nice & friendly people there. Good luck with what ever you choose!! :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Proline - I own a 2003 and don't have any major complaints. IMO they are of mid-level quality, but also priced as such. Decent ride, fit and finish.

Sailfish - Buddy owns one that I fished out of numerous times. IMO they are a top quality boat, but cost a little more. Nice ride and well put together.

Trophy (Bayliner) - One of the first boats I ever owned was a bayliner and I will never buy one again. That boat was a model year 1989 and it was a piece of crap, but it was a lot cheaper than similiar boats at the time. Horrible fit and finish, cheap materials, wet and bumpy ride.Theyhave probably improved over the years, but the first one left a bad impression.

Contender - They have been getting a bad rap lately on other forums concerning their warranty service, but lots of tournament fisherman fish out of them so they can't be all bad.

Edgewater/Pursuit - Never fished out of either.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Contender - nice boat, built well, some the older modeals has some fiberglass cracking issues, but a great all around fishing boat.

Edgewater - the guy who designed whalers hull in the late 80's and 90's built this company, very well built boat, built on the same foundations of whaler, or claim to be. high dollar in my opinion

Pursuit - Great boat built well, been around a long time, resale value seems to hold.

Pro-line - cheaper boat, soft floors, soft transoms, wiriing issues, is theproblems ive heard onolders onesbasically a budget boat. They were on the verge of bankrupcty think they have new owners now so warranty work my be an issue.

sailfish - i know nothing about, seem to have a great following.

Trophy - junk, If you want a throw away boat get one of these.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I feel the Edgewater is "The Fisherman's Boston Whaler" Another not to turn your nose up at if you see on with a good price is Regulator.

I fished on one Cape Horn several times and noticed more hull flex including making ripples with engine vibration while trolling... I didn't rate it real high for good use of storage and such either. It was only a 20-23 footer but the Robalo was much stiffer and had better fish storage etc...

I wouldn't own a Bayliner product under any circumstance.

I thought of Pursuit as a top end trailer boat but they were priced as such too.

Brent

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I looked at all those brands and settle on a Nautic Star 2000 Offshore. Smooth, dry ride for a 20' boat at an affordable price! I would do as suggested and go with Boat Traderthat is how I found my boat. Don't be afraid to go with out of state dealers either, I saved over $5K purchasing my boat form a dealer in Supply, NC! Florida dealers have a tendency to overprice boats that are in high demand here.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 1990 2650 Pursuit and it has held up exceptionally well to be 20 years old of course there is alot of work that goes into keeping up any boat especially one 20 years old, but Pursuit in my book is top of the line and I go 80 miles offshore whenever I get the urge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You Trophy bashers crack me up. The same on all the forums.

OP: Sea trial any and all boats you can find that fit your original criteria. Only you can answer yoru own question. Read the advice you get here, temper it with a healthy dose of skepticism, and go see the boats yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts