477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on the PNJ.com page.....

<!--
TOTAL ELEMENTS IN ARRAY: 8
TOTAL CHARACTERS IN ARRAY: 701
TOTAL CHARACTERS IN PAGES:
LAST PAGE CONTAINS: 701
--> <DIV class="c content-wrap"><DIV class=gel-content id=__gelement_1><DIV class="gel-pane gpagediv" id=GPage1><!--Saxotech Paragraph Count: 2
-->

<SPAN class=pp>A disabled man is missing from a small boat in Escambia Bay, according to Santa Rosa County Public Information Officer Joy Tsubooka.<BANNER id=__gelement_adbanner_0 position="ArticleFlex_1"></BANNER>

<SPAN class=pp>The man is missing near the Interstate 10 bridge near Avalon Beach. One boater has been rescued and transported to Santa Rosa Medical Center in Milton. Tsubooka had no information about the rescued boater?s name nor condition.

Avalon Fire Rescue, Ferry Pass Fire Department, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the U.S. Coast Guard are participating in the search, Tsubooka said.

Shortly after 2 p.m., a Coast Guard airplane was making several, low passes over the bay, south of the I-10 bridge.

More details will be posted as they become available.<SPAN class=aa></DIV></DIV></DIV>

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
<SPAN class=pp>A disabled man is presumed drowned after he went missing from a small boat in Escambia Bay, according to Santa Rosa County Public Information Officer Joy Tsubooka.<SPAN class=aa><DIV class=articleflex-container><DIV class=articleflex><DIV id=adcontainer___gelement_adbanner_0><DIV id=__gelement_2>The man was reported missing shortly after 1 p.m. near the south side of the Interstate 10 bridge near Avalon Beach. One boater was rescued and transported to Santa Rosa Medical Center in Milton. Tsubooka had no information about the rescued boater?s name nor condition.</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>

The rescue changed to a recovery after about an hours. Officials at the scene said the temperature of the water -- 52 degrees -- made it unlikely a man without a life jacket could survive very long.

The man rescued was wearing a life jacket.

Earlier in the afternoon, the men had launched from Santa Rosa County, just south of the Interstate 10 bridge.

Avalon Fire Rescue, Ferry Pass Fire Department, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Bagdad Fire Department, Escambia Search and Rescue and the U.S. Coast Guard are participating in the search, Tsubooka said.

Shortly after 2 p.m., a Coast Guard airplane was making several, low passes over the bay, south of the I-10 bridge.

Escambia Search and Rescue will take over the recovery process, Tsubooka said. Santa Rosa units have left the scene.

More details will be posted as they become available.<SPAN class=aa>

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I was wondering what had happened. We worked the Coast Guard Rescue aircraft into the area and he told us he was on an active mission in the bay east of the airport.......and saw him working his way back to the west......hate to hear it.

·
Super Moderator
27,931 Posts
Prayers to the family and friends and a big thanks fer all involved in the search:angel

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I believe the man rescued is a friend. I'm not really sure, the phone hasbeen ringing all afternoon and I'm still not sure.

Prayer's go out to the man who drowned. :angel:angel

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I watched the Channel 3 news last night and the small boat was actually a Canoe. Sad story for sure, prayers to the family and friends affected :angel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts