Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm running into an issue with getting my boat to touch the bow stop. The winch and boat is less than year old. Whats happening is when I winch the boat up to the bow stop in water it touches, I tighten it until the handle slips and no more movement.

I go to pull the boat out of the water and the boat pulls back two 2-3 inches off bow stop. I try a couple more times and still it slips back when pulling out of water. My buddy says that the bow lifts up when pulling out of water. The end of the hull/stern hangs off bunk about an inch. The dealer did have to change out the original bow stop with one that goes on each side of hull due to the through bow anchor and pulpit design.

I tried launching at Mahogany and navy point boat ramps (different steep angles) with same thing.

I have a Clearwater 2508 which is a 5200 lb boat dry with twin 150 hondas mounted on a painted stainless steel platform. The winch is a 2600 lb Fulton 2605.

1) Do I need a bigger winch?

2) Do I just need to move the bow stop further up so the boat pull more up on the trailer?

3) Or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I haven't seen a new trailer setup yet that could not benefit from some fine tuning on the trailer.
The boat is sitting correctly on the trailer.....From the pix.....Transom even with the rear of the bunk.

The winch stand needs to be changed. Not the winch......But the winch strap needs to be changed to one of the Yellow straps...Those Gray straps are for puddle jumpers. Your boat appears to be 21-22ftr?

A combination of adjustments and some hands on instruction of loading and unloading may be Very beneficial here.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I actually had to change out from the above bow stop as when backing the boat out, the anchor would get caught on the bow stop due to design of the bow pulpit roller.

I have been burring the trailer in the water and winching the boat onto trailer. I have been questioning myself on this myself so I will def give that a shot. For the record, it has been touching before when I got it from the dealer with the new bow stop. And I was only able to get this to happen once since (current pic)

X-shark I totally agree I need some hands on help, I don't mind paying for some advice. I have a 25ft boat but LOA is 27ft ish due to the platform on the back. I feel like this gray strap is going to pop at any second with the amount of tension on that thing.

Here's another shot of the anchor setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
advice is free on the PFF lol

Drive your boat onto the trailer. Heck, call me, if I don't have anything to do, I can meet you at a ramp and show you how to drive on the trailer. That mat be the issue, your trailer is to deep in the water and when you pull out, the boat follows the strap until the bunks make contact...… what ramp do you use?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason why I love this forum. Normally navy point and mahogany mill. But I would be on your time you tell me which is easier for ya. You at least need a free ride out of the deal. Haha. I plan to hit the water this weekend. I bought a new yellow strap and I'll have it installed before the weekend.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
The reason why I love this forum. Normally navy point and mahogany mill. But I would be on your time you tell me which is easier for ya. You at least need a free ride out of the deal. Haha. I plan to hit the water this weekend. I bought a new yellow strap and I'll have it installed before the weekend.
just weekend being a holiday, is not the best time to be trying new things at the ramp while a million others are loading and unloading their boats.... if you're able to do it one day during the week, I'm available just about all week.... tomorrow is good as I mentioned, but call me and we can figure this out... I'm heading the range with my Son here in a few, so I'll be back online this afternoon/evening. Jim

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I actually had to change out from the above bow stop as when backing the boat out, the anchor would get caught on the bow stop due to design of the bow pulpit roller.

Yep.....All that looks good on paper....But in actual hands on....It doesn't work with the anchor stuck out like that. It's fine in a dry stack and fine on a lift....But loading it on a trailer with a standard style winch stand does not Work. I have a 24 Century here now...Same anchor thru the boats Stem....They removed it and stick the anchor in the anchor locker.

I had a pulpit on my Parker that was just sold. It's a bunch higher than your anchor.

But even with that.....I would turn the flukes of the anchor Up....Not down to get the clearance on the winch stand.

I know that doesn't help you.....But in the first pix's you posted I didn't notice the anchor due to stuff in the background.

·
Registered
724 Posts
When my boat does that at mahogany I just get to level ground and slam the brakes from idle speed when approaching the wash down area. Works every time. Boat slides forward to stop and I winch the slack out. Obviously make sure no one is directly behind you when stopping do suddenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
When my boat does that at mahogany I just get to level ground and slam the brakes from idle speed when approaching the wash down area. Works every time. Boat slides forward to stop and I winch the slack out. Obviously make sure no one is directly behind you when stopping do suddenly.

interesting, I'd like to watch this once. unless you have roller bunks, or a light boat, well, I'd like to watch this....

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Which now brings up a point.......How many are not strapping the ass end of the boat down?

Raise your hands.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,722 Posts
Which now brings up a point.......How many are not strapping the ass end of the boat down?

Raise your hands.
I don't anymore, but the launch is down the street from me. If I haul to Boggy Point or get out of the neighborhood, I do.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would guess that your boat porpoises on the trailer when hitting bumps? If so, your winch, strap and front pads will never be able to stop it. Your boat looks like a lot of weight( the stern bracket and motors) are AFT of the trailer bunks. Your center of gravity is more towards the back of the boat, than the middle. I am guessing your bow tilts away from your bow stops rather than drifts backward. The proper fit could be several different things. Eddie English trailers in Milton is the best trailer man I know, give him a call.

·
Registered
724 Posts
interesting, I'd like to watch this once. unless you have roller bunks, or a light boat, well, I'd like to watch this....

It’s a 21’ Carolina Skiff. It’s heavy for a Skiff. With a full platform, 60gal fuel cell and a 140hp 4stroke it has some weight to it. Keep in mind I’m not driving down the road doing this. Just in the parking lot. I’ve long ago stopped getting in and out trying to find the perfect loading/float on point. We’re only taking 2-3 “ max. It’s already real close. Do not have roller bunks but being flat bottom helps I’m sure. Don’t think it would hurt OP to try this once or twice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts