Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18-foot Botston Whaler that currently sits on a tandem axel trailer that is in desperate need of new axels, hubs and springs. They are completely rusted and need replaced. I received a quote from a local trailer repair shop of about $1,100, which includes $300 in labor. From what I've seen on Craigslist and such I can probably just find a used, decent trailer and come under that price. I only trailer the boat a few miles between my place and the different boat drops in the area.

My question is if I go with finding a new trailer, does it have to be a tandem axel trailer or can a single axel trailer support this boat. I have attached a picture of the boat for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
you can probably have Eddie English build you a galvanized trailer for that rig for close to that $1100 range. A nice trailer I might add.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Single is the only way to go if in doubt to weight just get a single 5000 lb axle

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have a single for my 18' CC. My boat weight loaded is just under 2500#. Got any idea of what yours would be? If not follow sealarks suggestion.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
If you replace the axle go with the bigger one that way there will never be a weight question. Plus the tires will outlast the scrawny pieces of crap the trailers come with. Plus watch the next time you see a double axle trailer make a sharp turn while launching one tire goes one way the other goes opposite. Plus it's double trouble with bearings wheels and tires. I have a 20.6 wellcraft and I load it down with freezer, tanks and dive gear when going to the Keys. Single 5000 lb Axle. Im through....

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I guess the trailer guy who gave you the $1100 quote either doesn't need any work, or wants to pay his rent from one job.

I would have to think that you could buy a good used trailer on Craigslist for less than $750.

I bet you could probably get someone here to replace it with one axle for half the price he gave you, and that would include parts.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I have a single axle under my 24ft carolina skiff and it is 18 years old.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you go single axel, make sure it is rated for 3500 lbs. Axels with a 3500 lb rating are not much more than those rated for lighter loads, and you may need the extra heft if you ever have an unexpected amount of water in the boat when you pull it out.

Also, less worry if you load it up with ice, fish, gear, and extra fuel.

·
Jack of All Trades...
86 Posts
And NO Car Tires, make sure the tires on the trailer are of the proper type and weight capacity just like the axle.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Here's the break down. Jumping from a 19ftr to a 20ftr. That's the point where going with tadem axle kicks in.

Now it can still vary with the type of hull, but that is pretty much standard in order to have a safe rig.

However....There are variances in everything. Heavier Duty trailer IE: The I beam's are much larger....A higher capacity axle... 3500lb axle vs. 6000lb axle.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i have a 22 pathfinder and i thought about going to a single axle because i fished with a guide out of melbourne beach with the same rig and he had a single and said it was more manuverable and he got better mileage. i was going to go to a 7000# axle and 16" wheels with 8 ply tires. i figured the 8 plys would insure fewer flats. after figuring the price and amt of labor, i just fixed up my dual axle and kept on truckin. i still think about the mileage thing though.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Single would be fine plus you’ll save a few dollars in some tolls with a single axle.

·
Redfish
289 Posts
I have a single axel under my Seahunt Triton 172. Does just fine. I just had Eddie English in Milton replace the axel, hubs, bearing, tires, winch, and jack in a hour while i waited and was around 600. Quality work! I personally prefer a tandem axel trailer for anything for the added security, but it does require twice the money and maintenance. Whatever you do, single or tandem, just don't cut corners. Spend the money and have it done right. Far better than damaging or loosing your whole rig...just my .02

1 - 20 of 20 Posts