Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a person were to buy an older boat that does not have a title, how much of a pain in the butt is it to go about getting a title? Also, under what specific circumstances do you not need a title for a boat that’s over the size limit and with an engine? I am fairly new to the area, I have never owned a boat before and I would like to get one in the future. Thank you for any info.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If a person were to buy an older boat that does not have a title, how much of a pain in the butt is it to go about getting a title? Also, under what specific circumstances do you not need a title for a boat that’s over the size limit and with an engine? I am fairly new to the area, I have never owned a boat before and I would like to get one in the future. Thank you for any info.
Getting it titled isn't hard, at least it didn't used to be. Will all be handled when you go to get it registered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In Florida a boat cannot be legally sold without a title. From what I've read if you get a boat without a title in Florida you cannot get it registered. The only way that I've seen to register a boat without title is if you buy a boat from someone in a state that does not require a title but you will need to have a bill of sale and the last known registration paperwork. Human powered vessels such as kayaks and canoes that do not have any type of motor and certain types of sailboats do not require a title or registration. That is what I have read from the FWC website. If there's a loophole to this someone chime in about it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I’ve known a couple of people that bought the boat without a title. They could never get them registered. A friend of mine’s dad wound up shoving a 23 foot cc into the demolition landfill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have learned, purchasing a boat in Florida without a title, Run Away! Nothing good will come from it.

If it is in Alabama, that is another story, very easy to do, with a bill of sale, and then title it in Florida.
When I did it I was moving my own boats from AL back to FL. That's probably why it was so easy.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Been there. Bought a pontoon boat no title. It was deal. When I Tryed to get it registered it went south. Still salvaged the motor and sold the boat to a guy doing decks. He used it as a barge. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
And then you have the folks with Big plans for the "Free" boat....[No Title] They get it home tear it apart.
Start working on it.... spend a Bunch of money only to find it a Major PITA.

I've done a Home build and got a title...This was back in '03...Have a buddy who just completed a Home build 25ftr....He got a title.....But had a grocery bag full of recipts.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Find a boat with a title, you'll just be walking into a huge headache if you don't, a free boat with no title is just a waste of time, in Florida at least.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,774 Posts
You can "register" a boat without the title. IF it has FL numbers and you are in FL. BUT you will have to register it in the last owners name. And you will not be able to get the registration or title in your name (unless you chase down the previous owners to sign title transfers for each person/sale).
I bought a john boat w/o a title about 12 yrs or so ago, and I've been "registering" it for 10+ years in the titled owners name, whoever he is?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts