Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,840 Posts
Glad everybody is safe. Sure screwed up their Memorial Day weekend.
And pretty lucky they were next to the pipe when the boat turned turtle. Further out and everyone's floating.

The direction the lifeguards came from was Okaloosa Island beach? No waverunners at Holiday isle?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
My wife assisted treating these people in the GBH emergency room.
they were pretty scratched up from barnacles on those dredge pipe floats. Guy said the boat was brand new less than 30 hours.
Great job by OCSO.

·
Praedator
9,970 Posts
Good job OCSO. Any info as to what happened? The boat looked small for 9 people, and the pass was pumping
They looked to be under tow. Coming through an outgoing tide in the pass under tow like that is not a good situation with that many people on board.

I heard the radio say that they were under tow and taking on water! So the boat was sinking and it looks like they were trying to keep the forward momentum with towing to get them out of the messy area of the pass. Then tow line breaks due to added weight of water filled boat and then it goes south!!!!

One sport fish boat got one of the people in the water too. When they rendezvous with the sheriff boat, they passed the passenger and water and snacks to the OCSO boat for the people! True boaters and good folks!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
That was some hairy stuff there....GREAT JOB OCSO...the LIFEGUARD on the jetski was fearless and saved most of the people....a true hero in my book....So glad everyone was saved....WHEW.......Destin pass is the very LAST place to sink a boat,especially with an outgoing tide.....

·
Registered
782 Posts
They looked to be under tow. Coming through an outgoing tide in the pass under tow like that is not a good situation with that many people on board.

I heard the radio say that they were under tow and taking on water! So the boat was sinking and it looks like they were trying to keep the forward momentum with towing to get them out of the messy area of the pass. Then tow line breaks due to added weight of water filled boat and then it goes south!!!!

One sport fish boat got one of the people in the water too. When they rendezvous with the sheriff boat, they passed the passenger and water and snacks to the OCSO boat for the people! True boaters and good folks!
We came through just after this went down. The tide was screaming out and stacking against the wind. I THINK what happened was the boat was overloaded and they started taking water over the stern when they were coming back in. The stern squat filling with water caused the boat to flip.
When were coming in, the boat had apparently just broke free of the dredge and it was in the channel mostly underwater. It was a miracle that nobody hit it.
The dredge tug capt was pissed because it was causing him a bunch of grief.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That was some hairy stuff there....GREAT JOB OCSO...the LIFEGUARD on the jetski was fearless and saved most of the people....a true hero in my book....So glad everyone was saved....WHEW.......Destin pass is the very LAST place to sink a boat,especially with an outgoing tide.....
I would much rather have a light, agile jet ski drag people out then have a boat with a moving prop fighting to stay close to the swimmers but not chop them up with the prop or crush them between the boat and the dredge or sunken boat. Great job by all there.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
We came through just after this went down. The tide was screaming out and stacking against the wind. I THINK what happened was the boat was overloaded and they started taking water over the stern when they were coming back in. The stern squat filling with water caused the boat to flip.
When were coming in, the boat had apparently just broke free of the dredge and it was in the channel mostly underwater. It was a miracle that nobody hit it.
The dredge tug capt was pissed because it was causing him a bunch of grief.
I can only imagine, I work on ships for a living and can tell you this.

If we had a recreational vessel sinking and tie off to us, I would be doing paperwork on it for the next six months. The initial would be bad enough, it's the residual that would be irritating.

I've had incidents where I was literally questioned on details of a report from 2 to 3 years prior by attorneys, the company, etc.

That tug operator just had someone else's poor decisions impact has sanity for well longer than the people actually involved lol

This is all considering his industry is anything like the one I work in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,840 Posts
Lucky the prop didn't get anyone cause it looked like motor was still running till the boat turtled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finally, a legitimate reason for the existence of jet skis. Man that pass is a far cry from the way it was in 1963. There weren't that many boats in Florida back then. Hats off to the Okaloosa Co. Sherrif's Dept.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts