Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a local (gulf breeze/pensacola) ramp that is deep and fairly steep! I am fixing to launchmy new 22ft sailboat that I bought over the winter. It has a 2' 6" draft (when off the trailer). I was thinking of shoreline but I couldn't remember how long and deepthe ramp is.

To recover the boat, when I originally bought it, we had to disconnect the trailer, tie it to the truck, and let the trailer go completely underwater then pull it up by the rope! (Theprevious owner said he did itthis waya couple times) It was pulled out at the NAS ramp and that ramp is not steep at all!!

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

EDIT: The boat is being put in for the year, I will not need to worry about launching and recovering more than once (hopefully!)

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
My 26' Shamrock draws 25" and I can get in and out of Sherman Cove anytime. I think you'd be okay at high tide anyway.The channel is narrow though. If you've never been there stay close to the docks till you get to the channel. They only mark the east side with red markers (maybe one green one on the west side). SHALLOW grass flats just outside the channel.

Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jim t (4/11/2010)My 26' Shamrock draws 25" and I can get in and out of Sherman Cove anytime. I think you'd be okay at high tide anyway.The channel is narrow though. If you've never been there stay close to the docks till you get to the channel. They only mark the east side with red markers (maybe one green one on the west side). SHALLOW grass flats just outside the channel.

Jim
I thought Sherman Cove was a military only ramp. I am not military, the previous owner had access to NAS and that is where he kept it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
shoreline and navy point are two of the shallowest ramps around...Personally I would pay the shipyard to pick it up and drop it in and be done with it...

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
Sailor612 (4/11/2010)
jim t (4/11/2010)My 26' Shamrock draws 25" and I can get in and out of Sherman Cove anytime. I think you'd be okay at high tide anyway.The channel is narrow though. If you've never been there stay close to the docks till you get to the channel. They only mark the east side with red markers (maybe one green one on the west side). SHALLOW grass flats just outside the channel.

Jim
I thought Sherman Cove was a military only ramp. I am not military, the previous owner had access to NAS and that is where he kept it.
It is military only for launching and recovering boats... I thought you might have access.

Jim

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
backlashnpcola (4/11/2010)Ive seen plenty of bigger boats at 17th with no problems my bro in law launches his 21ft seapro no problems
That might work.. They just dredge'd into the bayou and that channel there.. So it probably his deep enuff.. I've seen a few sailboats in there.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
To recover the boat, when I originally bought it, we had to disconnect the trailer, tie it to the truck, and let the trailer go completely underwater then pull it up by the rope!

That is something that you could get in trouble with, should the wheels go past the end of the concrete.

Pensacola Shipyard is where I'd take it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
X-Shark (4/11/2010)
To recover the boat, when I originally bought it, we had to disconnect the trailer, tie it to the truck, and let the trailer go completely underwater then pull it up by the rope!

That is something that you could get in trouble with, should the wheels go past the end of the concrete.

Pensacola Shipyard is where I'd take it.
I agree! That is how he did it before...but he was using the LONG shallow ramp on the base (i think it is the marina area that used to be used for seaplane launching) The problem that I saw with that is...most of the ramps in the area a not long enough to let 20-25ft of rope out and expect to get the trailer/boat back!!

Thanks for the suggestions. How much does the shipyard usually charge to lift and put into the water?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
I used to launch my shoal draft sailboat at Shoreline all of the time. It drew 2 1/2' also. The only time I had any problems was at winter low tide. Definitely stay away from Oriole Beach but Shorline in GB should be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts