Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here. I look forward to learning a lot from you all. I just moved to the P'cola area and am dying to get out on the water. I have been trying to decide on what boat to get for 6mths. I grew up fresh water fishing, and got to deep sea fish occasionally. I have an uncle who has offered me his 17-18ft bass boat with 115hp, as a starter boat. I know this is not acceptbile to use off shore, but I wanted to see what your thoughts were on using it in Pensacola Bay and Santa Rosa sound. Thanks for your thoughts.

This would just be a stater boat for me to learn and get comfortable on the water with.

Thanks

RH

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
you can do it...just have to watch the wx and be careful...bay can get nasty quick...keep an eye here and craigslist..there is always smaller CC for sale and at a reasonable price...welcome and look forward to the reports

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive seen Bass boats out plenty of times they are a stable platform to fish from and as with all boats you justgot to know thier limits heck if it floats and goes dont let it hold ya back Ive seen little jon boats out there with no floatation [little crazy] on a ruff day but flat days go for it

·
Registered
289 Posts
was fishing out offshore about 20 miles and a 16 ft john boat show up out of no where he said he had been every where he said he fishes offshore all the time i told him that he had balls:bowdown he said you just to pick your days and have your s$$t together two guys can fish offshore for less than 20 dollars a peise he did say he had sea tow if he needed help now that is wanting to fish offshore real bad :usaflag

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have an 18? bass boat with a 150HP and I?ll fish the bay and around the P?Cola pass if the conditions are right. You just need to be careful and keep an eye on the wx. Bass boats are good for the flats and rivers but for offshore I would stick to something a little bigger.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a 16" bassboat and it was a wet ride on the bay when there was choppy water. But it was great for fishing around the bridges with the trolling motor.

For what it is worth I now have a 17' Capehorn and would not trade it. We use it for the bay, offshore (on good days), rivers and lakes with no complaints other than I need to put a trolling motor on it. Dry ride in rough water and very versatile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts