Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Bob[/quote]

Sounds like that "Surveyor" needs to bone up and use all tools that are available.
Or did the survey package purchased not include looking that deep?[/quote]

I posted the same thought, above but now that I started thinking about it when I was buying my boatused as I recall the standard survey does not include things like a compression check on the motors etc, you have towork with a certified mechanic to really assess the engines. Although, I was able to take the engine serial numbers down myself and obtain the maintenace histories on them before purchase.

Think like others have said, this case falls into a fraud in advertising vice a survey issue.

Mark W

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A suzuki dealer in Jacksonville provided engine printouts, compression readings, etc... to myself. None of that included anything about ECU's being changed. Looks like there's even more discrepancies and items that weren't mentioned either the further I dig into the warranty history. Hope this proves to be a valuable lesson to others looking at buying used boats!! Thanks for all the responses and help. Looks like legal recourse is the only action now. I appreciate everyone's help and advice!

Bob

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I would think you would have to prove that the seller knowingly hid the fact that the ECM were replaced and showed the incorrect hours. It would be difficult becuase the seller would have plausible deniability. The seller was not the original owner so he could say that the original owner had the work done before he owned the boat or he could say that he just took the boat in to the shop and he didn't know that the shop's work changed the hours on the boat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Certainly seems like fraud, if the owner didn't reveal that the ECU had be changed. But the agent may not have known; the surveyor does not check out engines. Only digging into the claims did you find this out. 172 hours is a bit low, but some folks do not use the boat much. 800 plus hours would be very believable with someone who fishes agressively. It does not sound like the processor was changed to be deceptive.

BUT, the person you bought the boat from is across the state, and the legal costs may be more than what you would get at settlement. There is a lot of hassel with any law suit. The Suzuki's are good for thousands of hours, not like the older 2 strokes, and most likely will not give any problems. I would say enjoy the boat--if the previous owner will give you some compensation (a few thousand dollars), it would be a plus.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I didn't read all the post, but don't forget the surveyor. He should be licensed and insured. If you couldprove the dealer and the surveryor acted together in misleading you.... $$$$$ plus you'd get some bad guys out of the screwing people business.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts