Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some recommendation for bottom paint and topside paint- Type and manufacture. Boat will stay in the water. Need to paint the bottom, topside non-deckand outside deck area. Thanks in advance for any input. ed

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Bottom/Anti fouling paint - If you are going to leave it in the water except to haul and re paint and you do not have many years build up of hard paint, I would use a good hard paint, like Petit Trinidad, which works well around here. Costly, but you get what you pay for. I have had it last 3 years with no barnacles.

For a soft/ablative paint, I have been using West Marine CCP and getting 3 or more years.

Top side paint - Several questions here??? How long are you going to keep the boat? Do you really love your boat and want it to be beautiful? If so, I use Sterling Polylinear Urethane a 3 part that runs about $300 per gallon, but how she shines and it is good for 8 - 10 years. I have Sterling on my 46, which I have had for 28 years. I know most folks don't keep their boats 28 years, but she is perfect for us. Awl-Grip is a similar top of the line paint, but Sterling can be touched up easier.

If you don't want to spend $$$ for paint, Petit Eazipoxi is a very good, high gloss and tough paint, however, it is shines for about 5 years. Interlux also has several good high gloss top side enamels.

Deck anti-skid paint - I like the West Marine Non-Skid pre-mixed. It rolls on easy, cleans up well and looks good. I have it on my Panga and on my ramps on my dock. On my 46, I completely ground off the old molded non-skid and rolled on new gel coat with Awl-Grips non skid additive. A lot of work.

I will be happy to show and tell, give me a call and come on over.

Tom 572 1225

1 - 4 of 4 Posts