Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking here for awhile trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible. Looking for suggestions for a local captain to work on improving on the basics of boating, specifically docking and setting trim to optimize comfort and fuel economy. I've owned 4 boats over the last 12 years, never had any major issues but all self taught so I feel I don't know what I don't know if that makes sense. Due to work, I don't get out as often as I wish so even with 12 years I still feel like a newbie. I found a national company that pairs you with local captains for the training I'm looking for but would rather cut out the middle man and put more of the $ into a local captain's pocket than paying a national company. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Nothing beats time on the water. However, if you are interested in additional instruction, look up Americas Boating Club (formerly Pensacola Sail and Power Squadron) or the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
I am not a captain, but have taught many what you are asking.
I once ran a bareboat charter biz with a 36 Gibson Houseboat, twin 350 crusaders, dual helm.
I could teach a housewife in one hour how to dock and operate, and then send her off to surprise here husband with a three day cruise.
He would ask me upon return " How the heck did you teach my wife how to do that"?

Well, first and foremost, I ain't her husband, she listened to me, Hahaha

But I do have lots of experience and would be happy to spend a few hours with you.
Trim is easy, once get the feel.
Docking is also easy, the slower the better,

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well, first and foremost, I ain't her husband, she listened to me, Hahaha
If that ain't the truth.

You just need more time running the boat, and maybe some reading material. Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship is an excellent resource. If I had the choice between paying a local captain $600-$1200 for the day "teaching" me how to run a boat better, and spending about the same price for the 6-pack Captain's license course I would do the course and just get the boat out more. You wouldn't have to actually get your license, but you will learn A TON of stuff that 95% of boaters have no idea about.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Heck, I'd be happy to simply meet you at Sherman Cove and go fora ride with ya. I ran a charter for 15 years out of a 25 Ft CC with twin 150's, Now I operate a 2520 Parker Pilot House with twin 200's.

I don;t know everything, but I;d be happy to go for a ride or tow with ya. Remember good Boat Captain's aren't made on calm sunny days. get out there when it's nasty, because that where your confidence will be needed most...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heck, I'd be happy to simply meet you at Sherman Cove and go fora ride with ya. I ran a charter for 15 years out of a 25 Ft CC with twin 150's, Now I operate a 2520 Parker Pilot House with twin 200's.

I don;t know everything, but I;d be happy to go for a ride or tow with ya. Remember good Boat Captain's aren't made on calm sunny days. get out there when it's nasty, because that where your confidence will be needed most...
I may take you up on that. I typically fish during weekdays when I'm home.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
If I were wanting to learn trim and docking skills, I would go with Banana Tom or Realtor. Sounds like good offers from two experienced boaters. I also think Chapman's is a good resource, and there are some good online videos for docking and trim tab to get you started.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts