Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some troubleshooting help. Went out in the gulf this morning. Big swells. Came back in and tied the boat to the dock. Ran the bilge pump unt it stopped and didn't run long. Came back out to the boat an hour later and there was a ton of water in the boat. Bilge pump ran for probably 20 minutes at least to drain it. Not sure how water got in and can't see any signs of a leak.

Number one suspect is livewell. It was running but also ran all night with no issues.

Any ideas? We're letting the boat sit for a while and see what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yep. Time to pop the hood on the bilge. Shine some bright light down there, use your kids or your wife's phone, take a video slowly panning around the bilge. If you drop the phone, at least it wasn't yours, find another phone. Boat will have to be in the water, obviously, leave it on the trailer if possible. But don't be the thread subject of blocking a boat ramp and eating Krispy Kremes. Or worse yet, sinking the boat.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Your bilge pump should kick on even when the boat is not in use, activated by a float!? This I would fix first.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Float switch had stuck before but I thought I fixed it. Had been working fine. It's on my list to replace. No more water has come in.

·
Praedator
10,006 Posts
Your bilge pump should kick on even when the boat is not in use, activated by a float!? This I would fix first.
Auto bilge in an area not seen is a MUST!!!!!!!!

I almost sunk in the bay when a washdown pump hose came loose and filled my hull. Boat fell sluggish and I opened the cabin and water was already there! Rammed it up on Picken's beach only to find my bilge pump clogged and not working. Replaced with redundant auto systems with manual bilge as well. I could pump out a total of 4500 gallons per minute on my 19 foot boat after that experience!

·
Praedator
10,006 Posts
What kind of boat? Check for cap separation! Seen that before too where water was coming in when the hull would flex and allow water in where the cap met!

·
Praedator
10,006 Posts
2007 sea fox 197cc

Not to worry you, but we were out in a sea fox when we had the cap separate and had water intrusion. We kept wondering why the bilge would come on at each stop to dive!!! Someone looked over the side while we were running and saw the hull flexing and allowing water in! Made for a slow way in in rough seas trying to keep water from coming in.

Not saying this is your problem. But if you check all hull intrusion points on wash down pumps and bait well pumps and hoses and don't find anything, well, check this out.

I have heard of other hull separation issues with Sea Fox!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. After it set a while with no other signs of water we went out around the bay again and no issues. Left the live well off. Back at the dock now so hopefully it's good and there is just an issue with the live well I can check when I get back home.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Always have a console switch along with a float switch. And wire the console switch with a light that shows when the pump is running.
I had so much trouble with float switches I only have a manual toggle on console. I always check for water with rhe switch when running. I also never leave boat in the water.
My wellcraft also does take water on through the cap and rubrail.

Reactions: Hook

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It also has a manual switch with the indicating light. I always check it with the switch to make sure it's dry. Visual inspection now too. For it to have filled with that much water that quick I fill like there had to have been an issue with the live well and it just pumped water to the bilge.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,780 Posts
Always have a console switch along with a float switch. And wire the console switch with a light that shows when the pump is running.
I had so much trouble with float switches I only have a manual toggle on console. I always check for water with rhe switch when running. I also never leave boat in the water.
My wellcraft also does take water on through the cap and rubrail.

I think I saw you coming back in the pass the other week, looked like you had orange bottom paint?

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Orange bottom paint. Come on, no bottom paint, could have been snapper and grouper blood stains.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
I have grass growing on the top of my filthey T Top. Think I am kidding? Yes I do spray it down with watered down bleach at least once every couple years.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Need some troubleshooting help. Went out in the gulf this morning. Big swells. Came back in and tied the boat to the dock. Ran the bilge pump unt it stopped and didn't run long. Came back out to the boat an hour later and there was a ton of water in the boat. Bilge pump ran for probably 20 minutes at least to drain it. Not sure how water got in and can't see any signs of a leak.

Number one suspect is livewell. It was running but also ran all night with no issues.

Any ideas? We're letting the boat sit for a while and see what happens.

You’ve got your bilge pump hooked up backwards. Need to swap those wires.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts