Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the late post. I went out to the jetties in destin last sunday in hopes of catching some fish. The blues were running thick again basically tearing up anything i threw out there. i also caught this grouper but i'm not sure what kind? here is one of the blues i caught

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yep, Ive been out there a few times this week and havent had problems catching blues in the 4-5 lb range. These are good fun and are great on light tackle, they pull like a red sometimes.

Also, if you have the patience, there are a few keeper mangroves, just have to wade through the little guys~ any advice on how to get the bigger ones?? Bigger bait??

Those little gags are quite a whallop when not expecting it.

No reds though, but I havent timed the outgoing tide right

·
Registered
179 Posts
getting baits past the smaller snappers is a pain for sure:banghead one thing to try is use small live baits ie finger mullet or if u can get them menhadden or little greenies. another thing is use a longer leader with more weight and switch to florocarbon- seems the larger a mangrove/black/grey snapper gets the more wary they become. more weight lets you get down to the bigger guys faster and a longer leader keeps the bait away from the weight. If you can get the to eat cut bait then just using a bigger bait would probably help alot. Kind of odd no reports of sheaphead on the rocks yet..normally it would be full of em by now. No flounder out there either?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are some flounder out there not in great numbers but i witnessed 6 being caught last week including one by myself. as far as the sheepies i've seen a couple and they are usually along the beach side of jetties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts