Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard there are next to no free options for tracking blue water...so what does everyone use for a service regardless if its annual/monthly or daily analysis...

For those that pay for a service, how has your experience been, did you have to learn to read it or was it fairly easy to understand? Have you had better results than just heading offshore and driving til you found blue water? Are those services worth it?

If I were to consider paying for a service, is anybody interested in cost sharing? Feel free to private message me if interested...

·
Registered
593 Posts
There is a free option. It took some Googling to find, but this NASA website publishes Chlorophyll water levels, (i.e. how clear the water is). It won't help you with weedlines, but there are GPS coordinates included, so you can hover over the blue water rip on the map and find approx. where it is at! That link takes you to June 20th which was the day with the least cloud cover this month.
Worldview: Explore Your Dynamic Planet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a free option. It took some Googling to find, but this NASA website publishes Chlorophyll water levels, (i.e. how clear the water is). It won't help you with weedlines, but there are GPS coordinates included, so you can hover over the blue water rip on the map and find approx. where it is at! That link takes you to June 20th which was the day with the least cloud cover this month.
Worldview: Explore Your Dynamic Planet
That is a pretty nice free tool, thanks for sharing I'll have to see what layers I can play with!

·
Registered
70 Posts
For what it’s worth/ I am new to Bluewater fishing and I decided to buy a Hilton’s subscription- I check it several times a week... the problem with the free stuff is that it’s not geo referenced... may not matter to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it’s worth/ I am new to Bluewater fishing and I decided to buy a Hilton’s subscription- I check it several times a week... the problem with the free stuff is that it’s not geo referenced... may not matter to you.
How long have you had the Hilton's subscription? Is it easy to read or is it an analysis or what? Have you had much blue water success on Mahi or Wahoo trolling yet? I'm still looking for my first on both... :\

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had it a few months. It’s just images that are georeferenced. No analysis. They say you can call Tom Hilton and he will analyze it for you. I fish such a small area (50 miles in an direction from pass) that I don’t feel like a Roffs analysis is worth it- I think they are going to tell me to go 100 miles every time - which I’m not going to do.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Every company uses the free data from NASA, but they add the overlays so you can get the GPS coordinates which is what you really care about. Good luck eyeballing it to see if that color break is 30 miles or 50 miles out! Since it's the same data all that matters is the interface. Hilton and rip charts are more or less the same, I went with rip charts since the owner hooked me up with a free trial. They have a ton of tutorial videos to get you started. I used roffs which gives you an excellent breakdown to simplify things, but it's $60 a pop and that's a good chunk of change for a smaller boat guy to blindly buy one, see that the good water is out of range and it doesn't matter, then try again. $170 for a year for the rip charts or 200 for the hiltons is the better bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts