Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue Herons, Flounder, and Bent Rods​
October is a great month to inshore fish for lots of species, especially flounder.
While some of my counterparts are out fishing the gulf, I’m enjoying the flats practically all to myself.
I’ve been tossing a lot of soft plastics and putting some flatties in the ice chest. I’ve been busy fishing a lot over the past two weeks with chartering and fun fishing.
Even on my days off I go fishing. This way I stay on top of what the fish are doing which keeps my clients happy. And I can’t lie, I love fishing; it’s in my blood. I don’t care if it’s a 2 lb flounder or a 30 lb redfish, it’s all fun.
Why do I mention blue herons in my report title? Let me get right to it. A couple days back I had a great family from New Orleans with their 7year-old son. It was his birthday present to go fishing on an inshore charter. I took them flounder fishing for the first hour and we did pretty well; we had 8 or so good bites and landed a few keepers. I then headed out into the gulf to troll for Spanish and ladyfish for the little one. It was a perfect day, calm wind, calm seas and lots of fish. The rods were getting slammed on each pass and my little angler was having a blast. He was catching a variety of fish, and then when I was helping him after he caught a bluefish, all of a sudden a blue heron landed on my front deck trolling motor.

Everyone was like, hello? We just watched the bird make himself at home. Now, I’ve had them land on my boat when at the dock or watch me clean fish at the dock, but I’ve never had one land on my boat while out in the gulf. So I’m taking the fish off the hook to get it on the gripper for a picture and the blue heron is watching every move I make. We take the picture and then I toss the fish on the deck to let him have it, and while he’s making a move toward it, another blue heron shows up to stake his claim on the blue fish deck special. So, now I’ve got two blue herons basically getting ready to start their own MMA match on my front deck over this blue fish. It was remarkable to watch.

What a great birthday present for my little angler from New Orleans. The Sanderson family will have a great memory like no other thanks to my two new MMA featherweight friends for putting on a show for us. I can still hear them squawking and getting ready to do Mr. Miyagi’s Karate Kid crane technique, which everyone knows, if done right, “ no can defense.”

Here are a few more pics from the past few trips.

Hope you enjoyed the report. Till the next adventure, tight lines..
John

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Great job captain! I may need to hire you to teach me how to catch flounder off my boat. I'm not very good at it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Fun story. First I've ever heard of a blue heron landing on an underway boat like that. I feed one at my dock almost every day. Keep some pinfish in trap just for him. Hasn't showed up for 3 days though. Maybe he was hungry for something different? If he shows again, say hello Buster, and if he looks at you...it's him. :)

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Enjoyed your report, Capt. John. Back when I was guiding, I always appreciated when the local wildlife would put on a show for the clients. Almost like the wildlife was on the payroll.

Great pics of the MMA featherweights - heh heh. :thumbup:

Reactions: Capt. John Rivers

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SW Angler, I wasn't running when we they landed on the bow, I had it in neutral because we had just caught that blue fish so we were basically just drifting. It was pretty exciting and fun to watch.

Chaps,, give me a ring I'd be happy to talk to you about setting something up and showing you some things about inshore fishery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What was the depth of the area you were catching the flounder? Grass area or sand? Drop or channel? Love those Haron, I call them my fishing buddy!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the depth of the area you were catching the flounder? Grass area or sand? Drop or channel? Love those Haron, I call them my fishing buddy!
Depth ranged from 3 - 6 ft on the flats, pot holes mixed with sand and grass, drop off where it goes from 3- 8ft.
Hope this helps,

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those Heron pics are GREAT. Especially the one with the family in the foreground.

NICE!

Jim
The mom is a professional photographer and had a very nice camera on the boat and when the birds showed up and started fighting, she was snapping tons of pics. They turned out great. It was really cool to see. Like I said, I've never had them land on my boat while I was in the gulf, only at the dock. So it was pretty neat.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,350 Posts
I'll bet the picture of one Heron jumping over the other could win an award.

GREAT fishing story,

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blue Herons, Flounder, and Bent Rods​
October is a great month to inshore fish for lots of species, especially flounder.
While some of my counterparts are out fishing the gulf, I’m enjoying the flats practically all to myself.
I’ve been tossing a lot of soft plastics and putting some flatties in the ice chest. I’ve been busy fishing a lot over the past two weeks with chartering and fun fishing.
Even on my days off I go fishing. This way I stay on top of what the fish are doing which keeps my clients happy. And I can’t lie, I love fishing; it’s in my blood. I don’t care if it’s a 2 lb flounder or a 30 lb redfish, it’s all fun.
Why do I mention blue herons in my report title? Let me get right to it. A couple days back I had a great family from New Orleans with their 7year-old son. It was his birthday present to go fishing on an inshore charter. I took them flounder fishing for the first hour and we did pretty well; we had 8 or so good bites and landed a few keepers. I then headed out into the gulf to troll for Spanish and ladyfish for the little one. It was a perfect day, calm wind, calm seas and lots of fish. The rods were getting slammed on each pass and my little angler was having a blast. He was catching a variety of fish, and then when I was helping him after he caught a bluefish, all of a sudden a blue heron landed on my front deck trolling motor.

Everyone was like, hello? We just watched the bird make himself at home. Now, I’ve had them land on my boat when at the dock or watch me clean fish at the dock, but I’ve never had one land on my boat while out in the gulf. So I’m taking the fish off the hook to get it on the gripper for a picture and the blue heron is watching every move I make. We take the picture and then I toss the fish on the deck to let him have it, and while he’s making a move toward it, another blue heron shows up to stake his claim on the blue fish deck special. So, now I’ve got two blue herons basically getting ready to start their own MMA match on my front deck over this blue fish. It was remarkable to watch.

What a great birthday present for my little angler from New Orleans. The Sanderson family will have a great memory like no other thanks to my two new MMA featherweight friends for putting on a show for us. I can still hear them squawking and getting ready to do Mr. Miyagi’s Karate Kid crane technique, which everyone knows, if done right, “ no can defense.”

Here are a few more pics from the past few trips.

Hope you enjoyed the report. Till the next adventure, tight lines..
John
A trip like that can turn a youngster into a lifetime fisherman. Awesome trip and amazing pics!

war eagle on that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts