Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forum but have spent a few weeks now perusing... looks like a ton of helpful folks on here!

Quick question, I'll be down in mid June (probably avoiding the Red Snapper run due to smallness of my boat) for an inshore fishing trip.

Would love to try my hand a crabbing. Any advice on where the blues might be that time of year?

We're staying on the water in Holley, right in the bayou, but could launch elsewhere to drop pots - probably going to invest in a few.

If there's an easier more efficient way than pots (like the long nets) that info would be super helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,982 Posts
Buy a few 3x3 or so crab trap, put some mullet backbones and heads in it. Toss it out in the water where you are going to be staying. Tie it to the dock or wade it out about 6' and run the tie rope back to the shore and spike it down.
If you are planning on using the boat and dropping them off around the bay, you'll have to put a float on it with your info on it (check saltwater fishing rules/regs @ myfwc.com). Crabs are usually everywhere, and do not drop/place the traps in any main channel. g/l

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you much!

Really appreciate the feedback... I suppose maybe I should just cancel the whole fishing trip and head to piggly wiggly for my fish fix too ;) hehe.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That time of year they are very easy to find. Near where you're staying or just go wade in to the sound. Find grass, drop the traps in the grass and you're good. If you dont have any fish scraps, use turkey necks from the grocery store. They work well and are very durable. I like to load my traps up with a lot of bait. Meaning i will pack the bait compartment up and then put a large fish head/scraps in the main compartment as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts