Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
We have a opening soon in Munson. It’s gonna require a fairly smart person but not a degree. Electrical/circuits/ac-dc circuits/ladder logic and mechanical skills. It’ll pay as good as any job around here, probably better than most. The ones going after these scholarships and aren’t afraid of work would be a prime cantidate.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have a opening soon in Munson. It’s gonna require a fairly smart person but not a degree. Electrical/circuits/ac-dc circuits/ladder logic and mechanical skills. It’ll pay as good as any job around here, probably better than most. The ones going after these scholarships and aren’t afraid of work would be a prime cantidate.

Where do I apply?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Excellent info. A huge gap exists in vocational fields. Old farts (like me) are retiring, and the Starbucks' crowd hasn't shown much interest in getting dirty hands (or moving out from mommy and daddy's for that matter). Starbucks is the new "McDonalds" for millennials, and they think it's soooo sheik...lmao.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With all the vocational schools in this area, some young folks must be going that route.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Bearded Brotula
11,704 Posts
With all the vocational schools in this area, some young folks must be going that route.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I think it's heading that way again. When I graduated high school they were pushing the college route hard. Get a degree and you're guaranteed to make 6 figures. People went out and got stupid degrees and then wondered where the money was at. Turns out it was bs. I had a few companies tell me, get a degree in anything and they'd hire me. I have a degree now, but I got it about 7 years ago. I got it because I wanted to, it had nothing to do with the work I did or do currently. I'll probably go back and finish my psychology degree at some point. Just because I'm only 4 classes shy, no other reason. I think most folks that know me would agree that I shouldn't counsel people. If I was just getting out of high school or looking for a career change, then vocational would be the way I would go. I have yet to use calculus for anything. That being said, specific degrees in college are still worth it. My wife has her doctorate in Pharmacy and she does okay with that.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,398 Posts
I think it's heading that way again. When I graduated high school they were pushing the college route hard. Get a degree and you're guaranteed to make 6 figures. People went out and got stupid degrees and then wondered where the money was at. Turns out it was bs. I had a few companies tell me, get a degree in anything and they'd hire me. I have a degree now, but I got it about 7 years ago. I got it because I wanted to, it had nothing to do with the work I did or do currently. I'll probably go back and finish my psychology degree at some point. Just because I'm only 4 classes shy, no other reason. I think most folks that know me would agree that I shouldn't counsel people. If I was just getting out of high school or looking for a career change, then vocational would be the way I would go. I have yet to use calculus for anything. That being said, specific degrees in college are still worth it. My wife has her doctorate in Pharmacy and she does okay with that.

So your wife making over 100K a year is just ok? :notworthy:

·
Praedator
9,972 Posts
Man I probably already make more than this job. (maybe). But the electrical engineer degree and former electrician in me wants to get out of this desk job sometimes. I've always said I'm not the best engineer (I have some social skills), and that's why I'm a program manager now. But a part of me always wants to get into the field and work again.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
788 Posts
Man, I could have written this post. I graduated from college 8 years ago(degree in my field). My wife is also a PharmD.
Weird.

There are a metric crap load of people who believed the lie of get a degree in whatever would give them a lucrative job. Now, as said in this thread, they are a barista at Starbucks with $130,000 in student loan debt.
Meanwhile, an HVACR, electrician, pipe fitter, welder, etc are in the work force for less than 10 years and making 3x what Starbucks are paying.

·
Praedator
9,972 Posts
A degree is not worthless if it's the right one. My engineering degree got me where I am with the DOD! I'm comfortable but not going to get rich for sure. I could make double my salary in the private sector. But I'm in it for the long haul now. Over the hump towards the 30 year mark for full retirement. If downtime had posted his job 10 years ago I'd have jump ship.

I want to get back in the field and get my hands dirty again. But I've gotten comfy in my air conditioned office!!!

I used to do side work for forum members just to say I still did the field work of an electrician. But kids and life took that time.

There are a ton of jobs that start out with some hard work and if you move up, your physical labor goes down and you take the credit still. LoL. But many just can't stand the thought of some hard physical work to begin with to make it up the ladder!

We were all supposed to be CEOs of our own world by the people telling everyone to go to college back when I was in school.

I watched one by one drop out into the easier degrees. I stuck it out and it paid off for me.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I watched one by one drop out into the easier degrees.

hey! that was me! haha! all that studying really got in the way of my intramurals, gym time, late nights being an idiot (and subsequent recovery the next day). I went the biz management route, but lucked up and got a decent job anyway.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finding a career you like with good benefits, especially health insurance is a must. I would hate to be stuck in a job that I hated for too many years.

I really hope Mike Rowe's foundation is as good as it sounds. I have followed it for years but never met anyone who took advantage of the scholarship money.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I taught school for over 30 years . When we studied occupational curriculum, I would tell kids about my plumber pipefitter brother and a female electrician friend who made a hell of a lot more $$$$$$ than I made. Both were local union workers and were able to retire long before I did. Our school had job fairs every year to help kids realize what is out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts