Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be visiting the Destin area next week and we've never had an opportunity to see a live Blue Angels performance.

Is there a good land based location in or near Pensacola where we could view this event?

Any information would be most appreciated.

c.w.floyd

:usaflag

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
P'cola beach would be about the best view from land and gets quite crowded but at least it won't be blistering hot. Get there early though! Another option is to get on base and watch the show from there if ya can.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
best place for this show is on the base,, its free to get on.. free to get in.. just plan on sitting for the day.. NO COOLERS allowed in.. they do have food vendors there and porta potties.... gotta see the night show ITS AWESOME...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is'nt that one on the base??? You have a show on the beach and one on the base a thought.

Its usually this time of year for the one on the base. Am I right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea, this is the show on the base, it's free to get on and they have lots of interesting things to do and see....:usaflag:usaflag

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
As I recall, the Pensacola Beach show,has always been in July. The homecoming show is always in November and is held at Sherman Field on Pensacola NAS. That's where you want to be to see this show the best. Can't speak to the night show, as I haven't attended that one, but it sounds awesome. I don't recall the reason, but did see the Blues at Whiting Field in Milton on one occasion about 14 years ago. May have been prior to the Pensacola Beach shows.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Hey CW are you taking the Grand kids down also? If so get there early and take them through the Aviation museum. How has the pontoon life been going?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Y'all.....this is exactly what we needed to know. We'll get up early Saturday AM, have breakfast, and head to the back gate at NAS-Pensacola. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing that civilians are allowed on base for this show and the other events?

Sam, nograndson this trip.....jus me and the granmoma. We really love the pontoon boat on Lake Martin but we're not sure just how muchlonger we'll be able to use it with the drought conditions we've experiencedthis year.

The lake is at 475.5' right now which is about 14.5' down from full pool. I still have about 13' of water under my slip.....but there's only 5' of water at the end of my dock and if it gets as low as some folks are predicting, I won't be able to get out of the marina. It's sorta like being at real low tide for several weeks at a time.

The fish areeasier to find though, due to there being less water for them to hide in. :)

c.w.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, civilians are allowed on base for the show. Use the back gate as you mentioned and be sure to arrive early, at the very least 30 minutes prior to the show beginning.

·
Praedator
9,975 Posts
Yes civilians are allowed and there is usually no ID check. Just don't go anywhere you see a bright red sign that says "Authorized personnel only." They may beat you down. Not really, but they could give you a hard time about why you went past the big flashing red sign. There will be plenty of police directing you to the parking area.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The earlyier you go the deeper you are in traffic to get out , sometimes up to an hour wait. Some years are better than others as far as traffic flow. The static displays are very good, close up looks at some neat planes. spend a few bucks and get seats in the bleachers as close to show center as possible ,IMO a real must.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Friday is the day and Night show. They have some cool effects for the night show. I'm part of the crew setting up the pyro in mid field. For the simulated bombing, straffing and "Wall of Fire". Also Fat Albert (Marine C-130) will be launching with Jato (Jet Assist Take Off) Bottles (rockets mounted on the sides near the tail) really cool in the dark. And at the end will be fireworks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts