Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a deer makes the sound of a snot rocket....what does it mean? Are they pissed, scared or both?

·
Registered
340 Posts
both i have been blow at more time then i care. but have seen doe's blow at buck to. but from what i have seen it is never good for you:banghead

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's all according to where you are hunting...if you are hunting a moderately to high pressured tract of land then it will probably most certainly scare other deer off and your hunt will be affected. If you're hunting a low pressured piece of property, I wouldn't worry about it....I have been watching deer on a field beforeand another deer would blow off in the woods 100 yds or so and the deer (Does and Bucks)in the field wouldn't even pick their head up. So if your hunting a pretty good tract of land, I wouldn't get down and leave if you hear one blow anywhere around you...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The largest majority of the time a deer will blow at me, is when they can hear me but cannot see me. They know something is there but are not sure what. I know it sounds nuts but deer are extremely curious animals. If one blows at you, just blow back. There are a few calls on the market that make the same sound. I have kept them in my immediate area for hours while they tried to figure out what I was. Kinda fun since most of the time they are does, and where I hunt we cannot shoot them except with a bow. If one blows at you do not move, just blow back. Hopefully they will not bag ass and leave, and just sort of meander away. If they do break and run, they sound the alarm the whole time they are running. Not always a bad thing but will make for a more difficult hunt.

·
Registered
782 Posts
they blow me constantly, this is never good for me. i did have a rutting buck that was pissed off about me shooting a doe out from in front of him BLOW LIKE A WHALE! i shot her as soon as she came from behind me , i had know idea he was there until he started blowing and stomping (raisin' hell)!!! he did not leave until the shooting commenced.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
now that I reread my comment, I could see how it could be misconstrued :doh I meant she gets a lead bullet in the face. I hate it when a doe blows and after I have made the decision not to shoot one, the only way that mydecision is changed is if she starts stomping and getting ready to blow. Shame on her if she does that and holds there while I shoulder my rifle:nonono:shedevil

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had deer blow more times thanI care to remember and it usually means I'm going to move elsewhere. Not sure I agree about the simply hearing you part. If a deer gets a whiff of something they don't like they often blow out of reflex as a warning to other deer. Bucks and does do this. I think they blow if the see, hear or smell a predator or threat. Anyway that's what I've noticed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its been my experiance that a deer will only bolt if they nail you with two senses. They must see/smell, hear/see, smell/hear, before they show tail and take off. It's my opionion that when a deer blows he's got you with one and is trying to find you with another - snorts will usually be accompanied with a footstomp - Ususally he has gotten some of your wind but will try and illicit some movement out of you before taking off.

That being said if your hear a snort-wheeze daddy is in the house...snort wheeze right back at 'em.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've always had good luck using a grunt call or making a grunt noise with your voice. Sometimes they'll come out and see what it is or it kind of calms them. Works for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Last Thursday...I heard brush crashing...I thought a hog was coming through..I pulled the hammer back and got ready..It was a young yearling with 2 other good sized does..They were about 40 yds from me..The 3 deer scooted quietly but swiftly and disappeared about 150 yds away..One of the big does turned around and blew at me..She must of smelled me because she had knelt in the high brush and {FUNNY AS CRAP} only her big ears were visable as she was using her radar ears and blowing for a full 60 seconds. I put the scope on her but diffently no spike..She was looking all around me trying to locate me.THEN, 5 minutes later I spot a movement about 60 yds on my right...heading where my buck was at this morning..It was thick so I couldn't check to see if it had horns but a good sized body deer..So I guess the blowing didn't effect this deer.

This morning I got in my stand at 5:30AM 1 1/2 hours before daylight..At about 6:15 I heard a deer about 200 yds a way blowing ...about 5 times..At 7:10 AM I had a big buck within 40 yds of me..That has been my recent experience with deer sounding the alarm. I know the deer this morning did not sense me..I had crept in there with my red light on..I;m very quiet with my Summit..My clothes and boots were sprayed heavy with Scent Killer. and the wind was on my side. Maybe coyotes ....

·
Registered
129 Posts
ive had deer blow me while going to the stand and by the time i get in my stand they are comin right back towards me

sometimes i think them little bucks and young doe are the dumbest animals! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts