Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started tying my own pompano rigs after hearing that smaller hooks are better and the smallest I see in pre-made rigs are #4 or 6 wide gaps. I bought a bunch of #1 circles and commenced to preparing for pompano season. All the pre-made rigs I see have fluorescent beads, and/or small floats above the hooks. So my questions is... are the beads and floats useful attractants for fish, or just added to attract buyers? TIA :confused:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If the bait comes off, at least you have an artificial bait that entices a bite....Bling for sure...maybe not in crystal clear water though.....

·
Registered
632 Posts
Floats serve not only as an attractant but allow for your bait to be presented above the bottom, where it's less susceptible crabs & other unwanted bottom dwelling scavengers. As Fairpoint mentioned, crystal clear water conditions will frequently produce more quality bites fishing a naked rig (hooks only).

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are some great videos on youtube for pomp rigs. Checkout "float hooks" or watch the videos from "fish gum" I use float hooks on the top of a 2 drop rig with 2/0 kahle hook. Also search this board. There was a member last year that posted a how to on make his rig; also on youtube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts