Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing people catching stripers at Blackwater so I decided to test my luck. After striking out with the cast net in two locations to catch some finger mullet for bait, I hit BW about 2pm yesterday armed with only artificials and lowered expectations.

I saw very little fish activity and caught only a bass and 2 pickerels on a MR17 so I headed for home just after 5:30pm. About 50 yards from the landing I'm passing a cove with a shallow entrance and something is tearing across the water. Visibility was low so I thought a duck ran across the water but then I see it again going the opposite direction, its a fish.

Toss my Mirromullet in the direction it last ran but nothing. Throw back across the opposite direction and it gets engulfed, fish on. It takes about 20-30 mins to wear it out and get it to the side of the kayak. I probably did 5 full 360's while it fought, very strong fish, drug me all over and worked my reel's drag.

Daylight was gone so I headed over to the dock, unhooked it, snapped a couple pics and set it free to fight again. My grip measured it at 35in, 28lbs caught on a 3.5in topwater mirromullet w/ orange belly on 12lb test & medium action rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You let it go?!!!! Dang you're a better man than me! Congrats on the fine fish!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You let it go?!!!! Dang you're a better man than me! Congrats on the fine fish!
Ha, thanks. It certainly wasnt an easy decision. I set out with the goal to put some in the fryer and this would've done the trick. And with my luck, I wont catch another this winter. But this monster deserved to see the light of another day and give someone else a great memory.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,585 Posts
A Big Fat Fish!
Very nice.

·
2015 PA 14
44 Posts
What a beast!!! Congrats on the toss back...must have been a hard decision after holding such a hoss...

·
Hobie PA14
229 Posts
Awesome fish....I'd love to get into a striper in the yak....that had to be a blast! Drop me a message some time if you need someone to fish with. GT

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
That's a fatty! Could you tell what kind of baitfish it was chasing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts