Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out sunday morning with Kai (beerfish) around 6am. Launched the boat and proceeded to down river towards marquis basin. Dropped the trolling motor and starting working the deeper water right at the entrance. Not much was happening so we started moving south. Decided to change locations, fired up the motor when some baitfish came flying out of the water with a nice redfish right behind. Turned off the motor, started fishing again and it was on. Proceeded to catch around 10 nice redfish in a matter of a half hour. The highlight was a 30lb bull red that we followed with the trolling motor for about five minutes. At first i thought it was a striper because of all the line taken after the initial strike until she rolled in front of the boat. What i would have done for a camera. Oh well, probably wouldnt have hooked it if i would have had one on the boat. We ended up moving to a couple of other locations and found some specks and a few more redfish. It was a nice morning of fishing.

Here is a pic of dinner to be.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice cathes sir. I would like to fish those waters more often but I'm not very familiar with it. Where do you launch at, Russell Harber, Carpenter's Park, etc? I scouted that area Sunday afternoon in a small boat but it became dangerous as the main channel turned into a drag strip for speed boats. Is that the norm on weekends there?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lop,

The main channel on the weekend can definitely get interesting. I generally launch behind Bagdad elementary school and head up river. This last weekend we launched on the opposite side of the bridge behind downtown Milton, not sure what the name is. There are many good areas to fish, i try to find places that have deeper water and are out of the main channel. We fished the fork at Marquis Basin, the headed south and fished the little channel where the houses are on the east side of the river near the I-10 bridge and then proceded west in between the bridge support to the center of the bridge. We caught fish in all 3 areas. Almost all the fish were caught on chartruese neon pepper gulp jerkshads and smelt pogies 3". We were working directly on the bottom slow with red jig heads.

Hope this helps,

Nick

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's a nice report donkey...right down to the location, bait and how you worked it. Really appreciate reports like that. Hope to get down during the holidays and try some of that....in the meantime I enjoy the good posts.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hey Sharkbait, Glad to see you chiming in! I'm fixing some trout for dinner tonight from our trip! Hope to go get some rat reds like these in this post from Marquis Basin.

What did you two think about June Jones comments today?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nice report. That's right by my house. Now I know that I can take my wife out there and get her on something.She starts complaining if she doesn't catch something right away. The boat launch across city bridge in downtown milton is old river road. The other one in Baghdad is the "shell pile". I love hitting thedock lights at night. That's usually a sure thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That was a great day of fishing. Sure made up for that slow Saturday trip. Next time we will take a camera, catching a 30+ pounder bull and no photo is a crime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts