Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first time hunting in public lands I live in pace. I have hunted on private land before but it was more like shooting fish in a barrel not really what I would call hunting
But I love the outdoors and shooting so this year I wanna do some bow hunting. I also want to be as respectful to other hunters as well. Any advice on a good starting point in Blackwater, name of roads etc.. should I go deep in the woods. I have heard hurricane lake is good but I have no idea about hunting public lands. And when gun season starts I want to bring my son as well. He shot his 1st deer last year on a food plot. Do they have food plots on public lands? Thx for the help good luck to everyone and most of all have a safe trip. Sry for the punctuation lol

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
Get a management area map. Available at alot of small stores out near BWMA. I know the harrold store had some, maybe off 87 too? I used that and still do. Between that and google maps. Just some seat and hoof time. I like East of Sandy Foster. But also North of Blackwater in Harrold. I am going out there some this year. Live in Milton. If you wanna hook up exchange what each is seeing shoot me a P.M. I am going out tomorrow

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
Hunt the creek bottoms. You can see them on google earth. Scout along the thick stuff to see where the deer are coming in and out of the creek bottoms and set up.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick reply that would be great I have to work Saturday but off Sunday probably do some scouting Sunday just don't wanna be walking around where others may me set up at I have a lot to learn about public land

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a management area map. Available at alot of small stores out near BWMA. I know the harrold store had some, maybe off 87 too? I used that and still do. Between that and google maps. Just some seat and hoof time. I like East of Sandy Foster. But also North of Blackwater in Harrold. I am going out there some this year. Live in Milton. If you wanna hook up exchange what each is seeing shoot me a P.M. I am going out tomorrow
That sounds good jaster I'm hoping to get out Sunday for a look around maybe figure out the roads see how long it takes me to get out there stuff like that I'm a rookie so any help is greatly appreciated thx again

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
Wirelessly posted

HO5TILE1 said:
Thanks for the quick reply that would be great I have to work Saturday but off Sunday probably do some scouting Sunday just don't wanna be walking around where others may me set up at I have a lot to learn about public land
Scout only around lunch time and wear orange. You start walking around hunting times and you are going to piss people off

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Yeah don't walk around much in the dark, some geniuses out there shoot at sound. My neighbor got shot in the back last year in Blackwater during archery.
i think that happend in the planted pines across from my house it blew my mind when i heard why the sherriffs and fwc had it all taped off

·
Banned
101 Posts
You should be able to get on afew does. Plenty of them in the blackwater forest. I found that afternoon huntin is usually best near a full moon, but i hunt private land mainly now. Just don t like the public stuff anymore

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah don't walk around much in the dark, some geniuses out there shoot at sound. My neighbor got shot in the back last year in Blackwater during archery.

Yea thx for the heads up that is the 1 good thing about private land. not gonna lie that makes me not wanna bring my son out I will make sure my wife don't know that lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should be able to get on afew does. Plenty of them in the blackwater forest. I found that afternoon huntin is usually best near a full moon, but i hunt private land mainly now. Just don t like the public stuff anymore

I hear ya I wish I had the $ to still hunt on private land just for that reason. if I can get 2 doe's I will be happy hell I don't eat horns and doe's taste better IMO now my son is 13 he wants to shoot a monster lol .....thx for the info glad to hear about the doe's...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts