Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blackwater Inshore Light Tackle Fun.
Had a trip today and it was a tough one; funny how one day is so much different than the other. I had three excited anglers on the boat from the Lake Erie area, Jim, his brother Andy and Andy’s wife Lucy. They were avid walleye fishermen and fisherwoman and wanted to do some upper bay inshore fishing. We hit the water around 7:30am, and I noticed the water was a little lower than usual for low tide in this area.
I planned on fishing some areas that had a little deeper water around 6 –10 ft first and then move onto the flats when the tide started to come in as I knew the fish would start to move up on the flats as the water got deeper.

Andy shows us a small rat red that slammed a gulp bait in 5 ft of water.

Our first spot was near the mouth of a creek off the main river. I had hit this area last Wednesday and the fish were staged near the drop-offs. It turned out to be a good choice, as we managed to catch 5 rat reds and 4 trout in the 14-16” range. We played around this area for a little bit and moved on. I wanted to check out a flat where I’ve spotted some reds cruising the shallows and was hoping we’d have a shot at sight fishing a few reds. Unfortunately, the reds weren’t there so we moved to spot three and this is where Lucy landed the biggest fish of the day, which was not a red, but a whopper 21” trout that looked and felt pretty heavy; I figured it was around 3.5 –4 lbs.

Lucy shows us her Gator Trout.

I had my clients tossing a variety of baits today since the fish were a bit picky. The three Gulp baits were 5” Lime Tiger jerk-shads, 6.5” Camo jerk-shads, and a 3” White/Chartreuse Berkley Gulp shrimp; all rigged on a ¼ oz jig head. The bait that Lucy landed her gator trout on was MirrOlure’s Paul Brown suspending twitch bait. I used these lures last spring and they always seem to do the trick. We hit a lot of areas today and most of the areas had fish, but we had to keep changing up our presentation.

Jim with a nice 16" trout.

It wasn’t until our last area where we really got into the speck bite, but again it was 12 –14” trout with only a few keepers. Lucy’s trout still ended up being the trophy fish of the trip.
We caught a good number of trout with about 8 reds today. The weather cooperated and we didn’t see any rain. Had a fun group today, and everyone was a good sport. They plan on coming back down in November, and I can’t wait to show them what the fall redfish run is all about!
Wish we would have caught a few bigger fish this outing, but we’ll just have to give it another go next trip.
Till the next adventure
Capt. John

Mega-Bite Inshore Charters
Inshore Fishing Charters and Guided Light Tackle Trips, Charter Boat Guide Fishing with Capt. John Rivers !
850-341-9816

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Your making me jealous John. It looks like you may have a new admirer:thumbsup:.

i think he's watching your every move....

eyes_012.gif eyes_012.gif eyes_012.gif

Next you'll be getting hearts in your mail box instead of cards!

Heart-03-june.gif Heart-03-june.gif Heart-03-june.gif

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Nice Report John. Nice Work.

It is Amazing, that you can post a good report and the first two replies are by two people that I personally have witnessed both state they are the BEST Redfish/Inshore Fisherman in our area.

There is a layer of Snide Sarcasm in both replies and it shames the sport of fishing.

Again, very nice report John, keep them coming and I will apologize for the first two replies.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Nice Report John. Nice Work.
It is Amazing, that you can post a good report and the first two replies are by two people that I personally have witnessed both state they are the BEST Redfish/Inshore Fisherman in our area.
There is a layer of Snide Sarcasm in both replies and it shames the sport of fishing.
Again, very nice report John, keep them coming and I will apologize for the first two replies.
No apology needed for me Garbo, John and I are friends, I can't imagine he has a problem with my post!

And I have NEVER said i was the best redfish fisherman around, maybe a good one, but I have NEVER claimed to be the best. fie1.gif

·
Registered
445 Posts
Great trip!! Happy customers are all that matter. I guess we'll all find out who's best around at the IFA event, since they are combining the Louisiana and Gulf Coast divisions. Or join the Emereald Coast Redfish Club, great competition and some of the best redfish anglers anywhere, including some guys who have dominated the Redfish Cup and the IFA. The trail goes from Panama City to Pensacola and everywhere in between. Win that first, then make claims.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No apology needed for me Garbo, John and I are friends, I can't imagine he has a problem with my post!

And I have NEVER said i was the best redfish fisherman around, maybe a good one, but I have NEVER claimed to be the best. View attachment 41136

I have no problem with Jeff's (Bay Pirate) post. His post was a little inside joke poke, and it wasn't intended to poke me, we're good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts