Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the ones I think I see (Google earth) are sort of in the middle of nothing, not near a field or any obvious food source and no apparent "destination" at either end of the thick, just a narrow strip of creek bottom. Seems to me you'd just be hoping a deer is passing from one end of the creek to the other, right? Those would be funnels, right?

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
Sounds like your on a deer path. A funnel would be a place where several paths or trails come together headed towards a food source. Usually if there are a lot of trails they will all end up in a central location. Those last few or one trail will be very worn. In Blackwater I have had success hunting near canyons, or washouts that deer will walk around rather than thru. Find a large gorge and set up close to the edge where deer will have to walk around it

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, from reading online and looking at pictures, funnels are geographic features. trails make total sense, i was sure hoping to better spot areas on the map to go look for trails.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
look at a topographic map also. they really help also locating funnels. with the aerial view and a topo, you can figure out alot.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Walked about 3 miles today around an area that looked good on a map. Didn't see any worn trails, just typical scattered trails and tracks all over the place, nothing that indicated much of a pattern. I did find 3 scrapes, maybe a 4th, small, but I was excited since I didn't see much people sign around them.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Go back a find a tree you like. Get in a little early if you can sit a while. Just scout from the tree. Use your binos to look the area over slowly. From a higher vantage point this tend to stand out more. The deer are there. Watch where they begin moving from. Next time in there move your stand towards the area they coming from. After a couple trips you will have a good idea what they are doing.

somewhere in a tree

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
Go back a find a tree you like. Get in a little early if you can sit a while. Just scout from the tree. Use your binos to look the area over slowly. From a higher vantage point this tend to stand out more. The deer are there. Watch where they begin moving from. Next time in there move your stand towards the area they coming from. After a couple trips you will have a good idea what they are doing. somewhere in a tree
Good tip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good advice, now to find a road that isn't a sandy beach. Got stuck for 20 minutes just trying to get in there.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Good advice, now to find a road that isn't a sandy beach. Got stuck for 20 minutes just trying to get in there.
You just need to sell that big ole F250 and get a smaller V8 lol Is that the second time you have been stuck in BW?

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No pictures sorry, I was too embarrassed to take any. I was in my wife's 4runner, buts it's only 2wd. Yes, way south of hwy 4, this was off of deaton bridge road, pretty close to where I was stuck in mud last year lol

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I know where you are talking about and it is a pain driving through there especially after it rains. That is the worst! Why I don't hunt near there much. I need my truck to last lol

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Gotcha. I will send you a message after a while for a place to look at. Just up the road from where you are. Easy parking. Couple hundred yard walk. Easy going. Some hunters but lots of deer.

somewhere in a tree

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
Deer will usually travel on a path of least resistance. Creek bottoms are a great area. I don't think deer live any certain place, they live in the woods and lay down to sleep when they are tired. I always try to hunt low bottoms/funnel when I go down to oakmulgee wma outside of tuscaloosa

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also saw this track, they were on a dim road for a long ways, this was the best shot I could get. Looks like a hog to me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts