Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left out of Nichols at 5:45 this morning and headed north.Started off fishing the bank Desert Eagle spoke of in my other thread and started casting a super spook.I picked up a few small specks and the only redfish of the day measureing 21''.Moved to my next spot and it looked super fishy.On my first cast a big red made three big hits at my spook but missed everytime.After a few minutes I found a big school of specks and caught about 10 all around 16''.After the bite dryed up I moved on and went on a dry spell for a while.Went down to where I've been catching the flounder and started targeting the flat fish.I hooked one up that easily would have been biggest flounder I've ever caught but again once I got it boat side the hook pulled loose.Kept fishing and had some more good bites but kept pulling the bait out of their mouthes.The tail of my jerkshad had ten tails instead of two after getting fileted by their teeth.After a little while I finally hooked a 18'' flattie good.I had a few more hooked up that pulled loose and caught a few more trout as well.By far bigger flounder are harder to keep hooked up than any other inshore gamefish in my opinion.Final tally 15+ specks most around 16'' ,one red and one flounder.Another slam!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Great report and very informative. Reading these weekday reports already has me counting down the days until school is out for the summer.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using a 5'' Z-man jerkshad in the Houdini color. With your rod tip down, just pop your rod tip in a downward motion so that the bait stays in contact with the bottom. I'm thinking that a Gulp shrimp would probably work better because of all the short strikes I had. I fished tight to the grassy banks. The flatties were held up against wind blown banks with creeks mouthes around them.

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
Where are you getting your Z-man baits...I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Oh and if you ever want someone to fish with pm me, Im usually free!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm using a 5'' Z-man jerkshad in the Houdini color. With your rod tip down, just pop your rod tip in a downward motion so that the bait stays in contact with the bottom. I'm thinking that a Gulp shrimp would probably work better because of all the short strikes I had. I fished tight to the grassy banks. The flatties were held up against wind blown banks with creeks mouthes around them.
Thanks for the info Alex. Are you rigging weedless with no weight and a wide gap hook, or are you using a jig head? I need to give this method a try some time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very impressive. I have been fishing for flounder the past few weeks south of you. All have been small. Great job and send them my way when you get done with them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Alex, a gulp pogy in white or new penny in the 3 or 4 inch has always worked best for me. We use a slow constant retrieve with one or two bumps of the rod upwards about every reel, so basically you do two small jerks, reel slack out, and repeat. We usually kill them that way and because of the smaller size we don't have a lot of hook pulls.

·
Registered
342 Posts
:notworthy:Nice haul Alex:thumbup:

I noticed your fishing weekdays this week:whistling: If your schedule changed to allow weekday fishing, maybe we can head out together in my boat or yours so I can pick up some of those perfect techniques your using to slay the fish.:notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

My luck has been s^&*@^t the last few times out:(. Even when I do find the specks & reds , I've been loosing them at the boat:mad:. Don't mind loosing the specks at the boat as much as loosing the reds.:blink:

I did find a large bluefish infestation a few weeks ago for some awesome topwater action but slim pickins for the last three trips:no:.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alex, a gulp pogy in white or new penny in the 3 or 4 inch has always worked best for me. We use a slow constant retrieve with one or two bumps of the rod upwards about every reel, so basically you do two small jerks, reel slack out, and repeat. We usually kill them that way and because of the smaller size we don't have a lot of hook pulls.
I'll definitly give these methods a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I caught several redfish in this same area with a popping cork with a red/white grub lastweek. It was fun seeing the cork go down and setting the hook.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts