Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left out of Nichols boat ramp around 5:45 looking for a good topwater bite.The first spot I stopped at had a bunch of mullet and a 5' gator swimming aronnd but I was only able to hook up with 1 under slot red and a few small specks.Once the sun got up I switched to a mirrodine 17MR and started catching a bunch of small specks with a few keepers mixed in but must were 10''-14''.I moved to a big flat and caught a few more small specks and a 26'' red.Kept dritfing south and caught a few more keeper specks and a 19'' red.Moved spots again and saw some birds diving on some bait so I stopped and casted into it a few times and only caught a small speck,some baby jacks and skipjacks. I started drifting an area I normally catch flounder at.I started using a Z-man jerkshad and with in a few minutes I was hooked up on a door mat.Got it all the way to the boat,picked up the net and the hook pulled loose.It looked to be around 18'' or so.Fished down the bank a little futher and the jerkshad got crushed,I knew right away this wasn't a flounder.After fighting it for a few minutes I saw it was a good size redfish with another one swimming with it.Once it got closer to the boat the other one swam off and I landed the one I had on.Drifted down the bank a little more and caught a 14'' flounder and a few casts later caught another flounder measureing 13''.Then before I left,I caught the redfish with all the spots and the biggest speck of the day that was 19''.Final tally 5 reds 15''-26'' 3 in the slot,20+ specks only about 8 keepers though and 2 flounder.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice haul Alex!:notworthy::notworthy:
I'm thinking about heading out Friday am:whistling:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Excellent day on the water... Early morning with topwater baits in 5' or less water really pays off in BW Bay especially around grassy banks/flats.

Good for you...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Just for shits & giggles. Go north, as soon as you pass under the I-10 bridge, take a hard right (east), and go directly toward where you see a saw grass bank. Position urself about 50-75' off that bank. Throw Super Spooks or any other topwater that size in the direction of the sawgrass AND out toward open water. As you run this bank, you notice a sunken tree about 50 yards up the bank --- exercise caution here - some (Reds, probably) I've hung here, I couldn't turn and had my hooks straightened out. Toward open water, if you can get around the Lady Fish and/or the Jack Crevalle, you'll limit out on Specs. I'm not sure what holds the fish here, but I have a good day every 2 out of 3 trips here. STARTING AT OR JUST BEFORE FIRST LIGHT UNTIL APPROX. 0800HRS.

Later...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for shits & giggles. Go north, as soon as you pass under the I-10 bridge, take a hard right (east), and go directly toward where you see a saw grass bank. Position urself about 50-75' off that bank. Throw Super Spooks or any other topwater that size in the direction of the sawgrass AND out toward open water. As you run this bank, you notice a sunken tree about 50 yards up the bank --- exercise caution here - some (Reds, probably) I've hung here, I couldn't turn and had my hooks straightened out. Toward open water, if you can get around the Lady Fish and/or the Jack Crevalle, you'll limit out on Specs. I'm not sure what holds the fish here, but I have a good day every 2 out of 3 trips here. STARTING AT OR JUST BEFORE FIRST LIGHT UNTIL APPROX. 0800HRS.

Later...
Appreicate the tip I'll give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
28,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Alex, you should be more careful when taking pictures of your fish. The background in each picture gives away your exact location. I recommend in the future that you white out all of the background, including your feet. You will also want to white out the fish's eyes because they reflect your location like a mirror. When all else fails you can white out the lure in the fish's mouth. That will fool folks every time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alex, you should be more careful when taking pictures of your fish. The background in each picture gives away your exact location. I recommend in the future that you white out all of the background, including your feet. You will also want to white out the fish's eyes because they reflect your location like a mirror. When all else fails you can white out the lure in the fish's mouth. That will fool folks every time.
Your right, I should be more careful. Lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts