Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started out before daylight, hit a few of my favorite lighted docks, caught 4-5 small reds on a 1/8 jig and shrimp nothing big, but I love night fishing.
After daylight, moved to a grass flat and switched to top water jerk bait. Caught 4 specks, 2 of which were keepers.

Moved again to another grass flat and caught a small speck about 12". Noticed some bait getting nervous and as I watched a bit longer bait started flying out of the water fearing for their lives.

Turned out to be reds in there feeding..caught one on a spook Jr. that measured just shy of 24".

A few casts later I hooked a real small skip-jack...as I was reaching to shake this small guy off my top water jerk bait...he jumped and managed to hang 1 of the middle treble hooks up to the curve on my right index finger!

Dang...just as the fish were turning on...had to go in and get the darn thing cut off and pushed through...

But the finger is good as new and I'm headed out again tomorrow a.m.

Baits used were..spook jr, jig head and Z man baits, rapala top water and oh yeah an index finger..

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice catch!
Gonna be crowded today if everyone makes it out!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nice catch!You should learn the fishing line hook removal trick.I've used it several times in the past and it works.Painless,too.Utube it..................

Robin

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice catch!You should learn the fishing line hook removal trick.I've used it several times in the past and it works.Painless,too.Utube it..................

Yep, forgot to mention in my story, a kayaker named Hank tried to get the hook out using the fishing line technique. It didn't work...hook was too deep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts