Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Blackwater today around 2pm and decided to try something a little different. Instead of taking the climber I decided to hike in and find a nice spot to sit. I found a nice pair of trees to lean against and got to day dreaming for about an hour and a half. All of a sudden I catch movement right in front of me and low and behold there stands a 6 point beauty no more then 20-25 yards away. Now I find myself frozen because big boy is starring right at me. My rifle is sitting across my lap under my arms and in no way ready to shoot. I reached with my hand to cock my hammer ever so slowly only to find my safety was not off. Well with my gun the safety has to be off to cock the hammer so I slid my other hand and pushed the safety to off. I then reached my thumb up and slowly cocked the hammer, thinking all the time that the click was going to scare big boy away. Now I was doing all these moves each time he looked down or behind him. Again he is standing directly in front of me and if I am able to shoulder my gun without spooking him it will be an awkward shot for me. I was finally able to get the gun cocked, safety off, hands positioned, and muzzle pointed in his direction, my last step was to shoulder the gun and take aim. Now all of this is taking place over the course of about 20 minutes or more, I am playing a game of guess what I am with this deer. He is stomping his foot softly on the ground and doing the ghetto neck move trying to look around some branches to figure out exactly what I am. Well, he must have heard a sound behind him because he turned and walked behind a tree between us. I quickly sprang to one knee and got the gun shouldered. He heard me move and turned around and began looking at me again. During this whole exchange between he and I he has moved to within 15 yards of me trying to use his nose to feel me out. He was acting more like a dog then a deer. I now was in a good shooting position with the rifle ready to go except the muzzle was facing toward the ground because I froze when he spun back around. I stayed in this position for another 5 minutes as he kept sniffing the air and moving towards me. He then turned his head to look behind him and I tried to bring the muzzle up. He must of caught my movement because he bolted and ran about 50 yards away then gave out a big weeze. I put myself into a comfortable/ready position and stayed put hoping he might come back in. Well I waited until almost 4:45 before deciding that he would not be back and made my way back to the truck.

I really expected the woods to be flooded with hunters today but only sighted one other guy in the area I was. The deer are there and they are indeed moving. I will be headed back out on Wednesday to try my luck again, this time from my climber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts