Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched this morning after daylight, I just couldn’t drag my butt out of that warm bed any earlier even though the solunar tables indicated a before daylight bite this morning.

Didn’t have to go far from the ramp to encounter fish activity, spotted several pelicans hopping around the surface…this usually means bait fish in the area.

Yep, kept watching and saw little fishes being chased at the surface, jumping out to escape whatever was chasing them…my 1st thought was STRIPERS! Now, don’t get too excited…it turned out to be a school of better than avg. trout, feeding like crazy on a school of baitfish.

I was already drifting w/ the current and got close enough to cast into the mix….BAM! Hook-up immediately, boated and released a nice 17-18” trout. Long story short, I floated around w/ the pelicans waiting for the trout to flush the bait up to the surface. I managed to catch about a dozen solid, fat trout in about an hrs. time. Kept. the 4 in pics.

Remember the pelicans? Well one of those dang birds dove on my mr-17 and before I could get it away from him, snagged himself in the right wing…those birds put up a good fight on light wt. inshore tackle! Reeled the bird in, managed to use my pliers and remove the hooks w/o getting bitten. He flew off, so no harm done…but my fishing hole was screwed up for a while.
Eased on downriver to another spot, managed about 9-10 more trout all between 16 – 18” met another angler, “STUBBY” as he floated down river chasing stripers…he hadn’t caught any either.

Did a little riding around but I had 4 quality fish, was hungry and needed some coffee… so headed in to the ramp about 10:00.

As I was cleaning the fish, the 2nd one from the top in the photo has 4 of the small baitfish they were chasing in her stomach…I didn’t know it at the time…but look at how close I matched the hatch w/ my mr-17. NO wonder these things are like “crack” to trout.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Super report!!! And you caught a lot of 'em, along with a Pelican!!! Kinda neat comparing ur 17MR to the bait fish.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Wow 25 specks on a couple hour morning trip im booking a charter asap great job bro killin it

My crew and I just caught 25 reds in the bay average size 35"
On a 6 hour night trip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice work! Blackwater holds some quality fish especially during the winter months, glad you were able to find some and in a hurry too! I think i'll be out there again next weekend, either there or escambia, hope to see you out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts