Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would would be a good place to try for Blackfins during the winter? going out Perdido pass or Pensacola pass and not going to the Louisiana Rigs

How do you catch them? drift cigar minnowsin chum and chunk?

and do have to have one of those tuna permits for you boat? or is it for the fisherman?

If you need the permit where do you get one?

Thanks for the help

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,183 Posts
Go to the Edge, anchor up just on the top side of the dropoff, and chunk 1 inch pieces of Boston Mackeral . Sink a circle hook in one of the pieces and freeline it back with a few thrown overboard. After a couple minutes reel it back in and do it again.

You can bottom fish at the same time.

A permit is NOT required for Blackfin Tuna but for $28.00 why not have one onboard just in case.

You can get one online and print it at home.

Here is the site... you'll want a Recreational Permit.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/initialapp.asp

Good luck,

Jim

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pleasr correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe youneed a permit for blackfin but get one in case you get a yft. We have caught plenty of blackfins around the Petronius rig in Dec.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Blackfin are not part of the regulated tunas. Pick a spot on the edge and either drift and chum/chunk or troll until you see them schooling on the surface and troll around them. The HMS permit is for bluefin and YFT. It's only $28 and will be worth every penny if you catch a YFT. It would suck to have to throw it back :banghead.

Bob

·
Registered
261 Posts
Permits are effective Jan 1- Dec 31, no matter when you purchase it. So, just to let you know- don'r purchase until 2008 if you're not going til then. Considering the expense to make this trip happen, it'd be horrible to get a YFT and not be able to keep it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good point

Expires Dec 31 ..............not 1 year from the date you purchase it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts