Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
IT'S ALL GOOD !
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Blackfin good to eat raw, like yellowfin ? Do you have to bleed them out or are they bloody ? Are there any recommendations on preparing them for sashimi ? I have never caught one and am curious.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
They are good to eat raw. Ive never had the pleasure to eat YFT fresh from the boat but Ive eaten fresh blackfin and its better then any tuna you can get at a sushi joint around here.

Or, its just that way in my mind because I catch them out of my kayak!

I like to bleed them by cutting out one side of the gills as soon as the fish is boated...they bleed ALOT.

I then gut them and put them on ice for several hours to a day because its easier to fillet once the meat is really cold, just make sure its sitting on the ice and not in water. The meat below the lateral line is best for sashimi/suhi/poke and the meat above it is best for the grill.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Oh and when prepping the meat to eat raw make sure your knife is razor sharp. You want to cut the slice in one stroke, if you have to hack at it its going to mush up the meat and ruin the texture. There is a reason a really good sushi chef spends years just learning how to cut the meat.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Nope - Blackfin are trash just like Bobo's - just ask all the blue water fisherman on $500K sportfishers... // Make sure to ice it and bleed it then give me a call to come by and relive you of such a large amount of 'bait'.:rolleyes:

From the one I got Sunday.

·
Registered
958 Posts
a while back i prepped sashimi using both yft and blackfin. we couldn't tell the difference...but i don't think we had the best cut of the yft since i didn't catch it. either way they're both excellent!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I love blackfin raw, probably as much as yellowfin. The yellowfin is lighter colored and you get much larger steaks for grilling. That and it's much larger size obviously make it more glamorous but I still enjoy eating blackfin and they are super reliable

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
I think they taste exactly the same. The texture and color may be a bit less desirable but in a blind taste test I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

I fish on a sportfish boat.

·
Registered
806 Posts
they are both great yellowfin has a higher fat content so it tends to melt in your mouth a little more but the taste is almost the same and yes i recomend bleeding either species take some wasabi soy a dash of ginger and a little honey for a sauce u just cant stop eating so good

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
Which one tastes better? I did not know that about the marlin.
Although not many people kill marlin for food anymore I have heard they taste alright. Marlin fishing is about the fight and challenge. Or money if it's a tournament

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Although not many people kill marlin for food anymore I have heard they taste alright. Marlin fishing is about the fight and challenge. Or money if it's a tournament
Ahh ha obviously I dont know much about fishing lol thanks for clearing that up for me.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
You have got to be kidding?:(
like said before, great marlin bait and I was using them early this year with great success for shark in the surf (just strips). Im sure a whole one set out on a float rig would get the attention of a Mako. I don't fish to feed myself, its all about the sport.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts