Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VIP of the PFF
8,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went after the blackdrum the other night, still a little too early, but I was bored and needed to go fishing. The trip went pretty much as I expected....the blackdrum haven't started stacking up yet.....so slow. I caught 9 hardheads ,1 sailcat, 1 stingray, 1 little redfish, and 1 very large blackdrum. It was 40" and it gave me and my speck rod and the 10 lb. test all that it had ! Lol ! .... it wore me out ,but if I would have been using a bigger setup it wouldn't have been near as fun. I couldn't find any eating size blackdrum and this one was released after the photo. A couple more weeks and it ought to be on !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Nice report, Russ! When I moved here and I was in my old 18ft Sea Pro, I was unaware of what black drum even were, and when I caught one by accident while trying to target flounder around a concrete structure in the bay, I didn't realize at the time what a monster it was. They are bruisers! Caught on a paddle tail jig (no natural bait other than pro-cure) using a baitcaster rigged for bass fishing with 20 pound braid and a 15lb flouro leader. It took about 25 minutes with a lot of drag-pulling and following her on the trolling motor, but she swam off after a short breather in the water boatside. Did the de-hook in the water and only lifted for the picture and back in. What a fight!

I was alone so had to use the timer feature on my phone's camera, and this is the only picture. I later measured my nose to my knee at around 45 inches. I'll never forget that one.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks. They are such strong fish, really fun. Holler at me sometime, maybe we can catch a couple fish and trade some more stories

Reactions: THE POMPANO KING

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Tell me more about target black drum!! Kids and I fish 3mb regularly as I live on the water very near it. They’re always looking for something different (other than bull reds). We occasionally catch puppy drum in the neighborhood and have found they’re really good table fare. Baits? Rigs? Time of year? Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
My favorite eating inshore fish in the 20" range. I've got a couple spots I can generally find em in the sound.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tell me more about target black drum!! Kids and I fish 3mb regularly as I live on the water very near it. They’re always looking for something different (other than bull reds). We occasionally catch puppy drum in the neighborhood and have found they’re really good table fare. Baits? Rigs? Time of year? Thanks
I'm sure that there are others that target them in other parts of the year and know right where to catch them in the summer months, but I only fish for them in the cooler months of early spring and mid- late fall. What works for me is finding shallow water clam beds in the bay and fishing them at night. The drum may be there during the summer months as well....but when the water is warm pinfish and catfish just about make it impossible for me to get a shrimp to a blackdrum. Little Piranhas ! Lol ! As the water temperature begins to drop in the fall the pinfish will leave these shallow flats to chase warm water out in the deeper areas. As for bait and rigs I use peeled shrimp on a Carolina rig with just enough weight to hold it.....fiddler crabs also work pretty good. When I'm fishing for blackdrum, I'm going after the smaller eating sized ones, but if you're after the big ones halved blue crabs work well for them. But I still catch the big ones using a little piece of shrimp as well .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Beast!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Nice, the color on that black drum is brighter than any I've seen, that's pretty cool. The adaptation of creatures in nature to their surroundings never ceases to impress me with the wonder of Creation. And that thing came in with it's own baby remora? Nice!

Reactions: PompChaser315
1 - 15 of 15 Posts