Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as far as I can understand you have to have WMA permit (what exactly is that) a quota permit and a hunting license to hunt quail on Black Water.

Does anybody run bird dogs on Black Water who is willing to help me out with all the rules and regulations? I'm not use to having permits and what not, Ive always been a get up and go on private land hunter, more of a trainer not really a hunter but now that Im older I would like to get into the hunting a little more, still mostly about the dog!

thank you for bearing with me!,

CurtyV

·
Registered
18 Posts
To hunt quail on blackwater you need to have a hunting liscense anda WMA permit. With these two you can hunt quail during small game periods. The next one starts I believe January 31, 2008. You can not hunt the field trial area, carr unit or hutton unit with these two but you can hunt the rest of the area which is alot. They burn some of the areas every year so alot of the rest of the area is pretty good habitat for quail however I still have not found alot of quail there. For the field trial area, carr unit and hutton unit you must also have a quota permit which are drawn in late spring and summer. I did not get one of these. It is my understanding that your chances of getting one are about 1 in 100. Most of the WMAs allow you to quail hunt during small game with a liscense and WMA. I tried perdido WMA along the electric clear cut and did not see any quail in about a half day with my dog. I did hear some turkey and saw a small buck but no quail. Let me know what I can tell you about blackwater and I will be glad to pass along any info I can. This is my first year hunting here also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A WMA permit is just an add on to your liscense. It cost about $25 and you just tell the clerk you want one when you purchase your liscense. The money is suppose to go to help manage the WMAs and to help purchase additional land.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts