Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving by Wayside boat ramp yesterday evening and noticed a couple of black patrol boats at the ramp. Hadn't seen them before. I'd guess they were 25-30' with dual outboards. I guess what caught my attention was the color and the odd angles on the front of the boat which reminded me of a stealth fighter to some degree. Anyone know anything about these boats? Was thinking maybe they were FWC? I was going to turn around for a better look but I had two screaming kids in the back seat.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Most of the military boats are black for the covert training they do on the water at night. Did they have emergency lights on them?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whitie9688 (3/10/2010)i saw them last night at the 17th ave boat ramp also. all black with the most wild looking Pilot house ive ever seen. had crazy angles like a stealth fighter. No USCG or FWC markings, just letters and numbers US something something something. it was a wild looking boat!

Those are the boats.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Last Weds. in the bay around the point between 3MB and Sykes there was big weird looking aircraft carrier mockup. Looked like they might have been doing cold water training for the navy?

·
Registered
397 Posts
strangest thing i have seen was a state or federal boat with around 10 outboards on it cruising under the bridge when i was crossing it

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
maritime interdiction patrol boats maybe?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
We used boats like that alot when I was stationed at Hurlburt Fld.Most of them belonged to the ROMADS but they gave 3 of them to us (PJ's, Rescue) to use for recovery.They are alot of fun and I always thought maybe they would be available to civilians after they had X amount of hours on them but have never seen one at an auction.

I did see 3 of them hauling west from my office in Mary Esther last week , might have been them.

·
Super Moderator
27,931 Posts
Probably military boats....I remember a few years back, I was trying to get my boat back to the launch off Ward Basin when a bunch of dually's (6 or 7) w/ big zodiacs quickly pulled up and launched...It took them about 3 minutes to get the boats off, rangers w/ duty gear and night vision got in and hauled boogey!!! Purty cool to see em all head out blacked out like their rears were on fire!!!:usaflag

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I think that it.There is a stageing area off 98 between Navarre and Mary Esther they still use, it's real cool to watch all of the new machines take off from there so fast.

·
Registered
481 Posts
BIGRIGZ (3/10/2010)Last Weds. in the bay around the point between 3MB and Sykes there was big weird looking aircraft carrier mockup. Looked like they might have been doing cold water training for the navy?
I believe that is the helo boat that they practice landings and take offs on the water with. You can see it docked at NAS. I know the helos come from one of the surrounding fields.

·
Registered
76 Posts
BIGRIGZ (3/10/2010)Last Weds. in the bay around the point between 3MB and Sykes there was big weird looking aircraft carrier mockup. Looked like they might have been doing cold water training for the navy?
The Navy's, Marine's and CG's helo training squadrons are at South Whiting Field and they cruise down there to use that ship to practice boat landings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts