Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished at dawn and was on a bit of a bluefish frenzy. Caught a bunch with a 4 lb. being the biggest. After that a good number of ladyfish, hard heads, and 3 nice whiting. After the sun was up about an hour, I got covered up so bad with black flies, I gave up. Any ideas on repellent? It maybe my imagination, but they seem much worse with a breeze out of the north.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not your imagination, they are much worse when the wind blows out of the N and sends them down. I don't think there is no known relief but I'm all ears if someone does!

I'm up N sound off when they leave Ha!:shifty:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Which area were you fishing? Were you using bait or lures? I love blues, but haven't gotten one yet this year.

As for the repellent, the only thing I've found that will keep the big biting flies off is the 100% DEET.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bout ate me up at Navarre this morning. Lots of small runners cruising the first drop off, funny watching them hit a twister tail 1/3 as long as they are. Did have a smallish sea turtle pop up bout 18 ft in front of me, kinda made my day seeing that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fish off the west end of the Bon Secour. We have a house in Matinique on the Gulf. I was fishing with fresh dead shrimp and cut bait from lady and bluefish. Caught the big blue off cut lady. They were so thick at dawn that I caught two at a time on a tandem bottom rig.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,536 Posts
Long sleeves/pants and 100% DEET slathered on hands/neck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So are the black flies migrating through, or are the hit or miss? Friend was at Fort Morgan last week and they about carried them off a couple of days and his daughter got them so bad she had whelps.

We are headed south in a couple of weeks with a 2 year old and don't want her eaten alive on the beach. She will not be happy to hang out in a condo for a week!

·
Registered
52 Posts
They are only bad when the wind is out of the North, sometimes. It's hit or miss, and seems like there must be several factors that coincide into the ideal conditions for them to hit the beach in big numbers.

I have personally not had a problem with them this year. 2 years ago, though, I got them bad at the beach one day and they left extremely itchy wounds that lasted for a month and didn't want to heal. It was horrific. I've still got a couple scars from them.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,536 Posts
So are the black flies migrating through, or are the hit or miss? Friend was at Fort Morgan last week and they about carried them off a couple of days and his daughter got them so bad she had whelps.
His daughter had puppies?

Oh, you meant welts.
Just busting your balls a bit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very hit or miss. Wind changed and is blowing from the West and no sign of them for the past two days. Still catching blues, ladies, hardhead said, writings, and a bunch of Rays.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Are y'all talking about noseeums? If so this stuff (trust me) is some of the best stuff I've found for keeping them at bay...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
What I don't get is I've been 23 miles offshore in November, North wind blowing strong, and gotten ate up. How can they fly that long? You would think that far out they would need to rest, then drown. I can tell you that's the one thing that will cut my fishing trip short.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Are y'all talking about noseeums? If so this stuff (trust me) is some of the best stuff I've found for keeping them at bay...

QUOTE] I hate them too but no this is the PEST in question.

Ahhh not sure if it works for them but it for darn sure keeps the noseeums away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Try a Matrix Shad they work for everything.
Just ask Limit Out he can explain how they work
Zin in the art of REEL Maintenance.
As WELL as the the true meaning of life.
May the force be with you
Correct, Matrix are good for no-see-ums too. They don't stop the biting though, but you are so busy catching fish you don't notice em. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts