Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
left the base around 7am andpaddled out to the ft macrae jetties on our raft to do somesnorkelingand fishing...saw a bunch of decent mangrove snapper 12-14in on the first jetty but then left to fish on the other one. Casted out half a butterflied ladyfishfrom the shoreon80# suffix braid, 130# leader and a 10/0 circle hook...we had seen some grouper down there a few days agoand had my brother hold onto the rod as i tried to untangle our anchor line that we left unattended from a rock 20ft down. I got it unsnagged but as i got to the surface i saw my bro bowed up! 10 seconds latter he was caught up in a rock...down i went with the snorkle gear:toast to my great joy i saw a kepper grouper with his head lodged in the same rock the anchor line was caught up in. I pulled him out and went back to the surface....snagged up again...down i went..unsnagged again haha...finally brought him up and was happy to see the braid held up to a barrage of barnacles. we had our grouper so we decided to head in...crossing the last channel before we got to base.. our raft hit a boat wake by the greenbuoyand our fishing rod holder snapped off the raft and we watched as our cobia rod with a stradic 6000disappearedinto the channel...down i went with the snorkel gear but i guess the current swept it away and it was nowhere to be seen:reallycrying:reallycrying:reallycrying if anyone snags that combo i'll buy you a few drinks ...grouper was 27inches

·
Banned
464 Posts
Bummer losing that rod but that was a nice grouper!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for the post. We saw you guys battling the grouper. I will say you worked you butt off to get him in. That was some pretty work.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Sorry to hear about your rig.

<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">

<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">We were in the G3 flats boat drifting the pass bumping the bottom for flounder.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> We managed to catch 15, all very nice ? between 15 and 20 inches.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> We saw another boat land and release a snapper about 25 pounds.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> We also caught a nice 26 inch redfish and lost several other fish that we couldn?t turn.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Seems like the fish bit best as soon as the tide started going out.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> It was fun for about an hour, then the tide was too much.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yeah we saw yall wearing them flounder out! we saw some down by the rocks and a really nice one on the way back looked like a 7-10lb fish...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts