Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll start off by saying sometimes divorce is a good thing. It's been over 4yrs and my ex-wife can never again run up my credit card debt :no: I have 2 wonderful sons. A stepdaughter that is now grown. And I have the best girlfriend I could ever ask for. When my stepdaughter was just 5-6yrs old I would take her fishing with me in the Gulf and now she is going to college aspiring to be a marine biologist. My oldest son is now 14 and lives with me. I tried to teach him to fish when he was younger but he showed more interest in gaming and is so smart it's scary. He's teaching himself Japanese with the plans of making a fortune in the gaming business and I believe he will. My youngest son who's 8 is also very smart and full of character. He lives with his mother and stepdad a block away. I made sure to buy a house close so he'd know I'm here if he needs me. While here for the weekend last night my youngest son asked me questions about where babies came from. So not to confuse the crap out of him like when I asked my Dad (wow was it bad but he tried) I showed him diagrams off of google. He clearly understood everything and was so cool about it. I'm gonna have to watch his ass or he'll be paying child support before he's 12 :001_huh: Told him he'd better keep it wrapped up!
Well after our talk I saw the opportunity to again try and teach him something about fishing and learning how to be patient. So off to Bob Sikes we go, getting there at around 8pm. It was a little cold but mainly because of a steady north wind about 5-10. It was a bit too cold for him to fish he said so while I fished and he played a video game we talked as he kept himself warm in my newly made bridge man cave. It's small but when it's windy and cold it works great!
I 1st told Zack about my friend Charlie the crane that comes to visit me when I fish the bridge. He asked if we would see him and I told him it would take about 30 minutes before he showed up. So I baited a hook and he said Dad you're not going to catch anything. I responded, son I'll have the 1st fish on the bridge in less than 3 minutes. He shook his head in doubt so we timed it. 1 minute and 13 seconds later my 1st grunt hit the deck. That one went right to the surf rod and back in the water waiting to be gobbled up by a big red. Quickly I caught a few more in no time. One for cut bait and one for Charlie when he was ready to make a show. I told Zack to watch the surf rod close because it would only be a few minutes before we had a big bull red on. On came a another big head shake in disbelief. Before he even stopped head shaking it was go time! The look on his face was priceless as the 40lb Berkley was getting peeled from the reel. Had loads of fun fighting this monster red that must have been a good 48 inches and with shoulders like a linebacker. It was so heavy it broke my new rope for my old bridge net and down it went back to the depths from where I reeled it in a few years back. R.I.P. old friend, maybe I'll catch you again one day. So here I am with no way to catch and release this monster without giving it a big tug and breaking the line off at the hook. Yes that 2 ounce pyrimid sinker felt great as it smacked me in the arm doing about 60mph :rolleyes: but big red was good and that's all that was important. Rehooked and on went the next grunt I caught. A few more grunts and I was all set again.
Approx. 30 minutes after being there in the distance I could hear the familiar sound of my old friend coming our direction. I said Zack, here comes Charlie and again goes the head. About a minute later Charlie landed within 25ft of us and was waiting for his customary late night dinner. He knows there's no need to steal my bait. Why steal a snack when you can get a meal tossed right to you. My boy got a real kick out of that experience too.
Soon after I caught a couple large white trout, a small flounder, a few small blues, and a huge blue that cut me off as I almost had him on the deck. They were all going back anyhow so it was no big lose. I'll be going back soon in hopes of catching bigger flounder and maybe a mangrove or two. Camera phone pics stink especially from a distance but I did manage to get a few. Couldn't get the monster red pic and release him quick enough so no pic this time. Had one more big red hook up and that was a fun way to finish the night. As we were leaving my son says... Dad I really don't care much for fishing and I usually only go with you because I love you and want to spend time with you but man, this was fun! What a great life and kids I have. Life is good :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paragraphs are your friend. Makes it MUCH easier to read, I wanted to read the report but gave up halfway trying to fight through the lack of paragraphs.
Edited slightly just for you my friend. Still not right but maybe a little better :)
When in highschool I was too busy doing the english teacher instead of doing the work. An edumacation wasn't all I was getting :smart:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great story and glad you shared it.

Even happier you enjoy sharing your time with your son. As much as the evening meant to you, he will remember far longer than you will.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Edited slightly just for you my friend. Still not right but maybe a little better :)
When in highschool I was too busy doing the english teacher instead of doing the work. An edumacation wasn't all I was getting :smart:
Great report! Both of em.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone! Part of enjoying the experience is to be able to share it with others :thumbsup:

·
Headin Out
73 Posts
Paragraphs are your friend. Makes it MUCH easier to read, I wanted to read the report but gave up halfway trying to fight through the lack of paragraphs.

JD7 What a loser you are for complaining about this mans report......lack of paragraphs.....????????........Get a life buddy....Reports like that arent meant for an asshole like you to read......Since you are so much better than every one else stay the hell out of OUR BUSINESS.....That was a great report,with much more meaning than than just a fishing trip,or whether the paragraphs were there so you could understand.....I understood it perfectly.....I had tears in my eyes because ive got a son that age that i dont get to spend time with like that.Its probably a good thing you didnt get through reading it because a sour ass old bastard like yourself wouldnt understand it any way!!!!!!.....
HERES A PARAGRAPH FER YA.......SCREW U AND YOUR PROPER ENGLISH!!!!

·
Headin Out
73 Posts
Good report Smarty..............YOU are somebodys HERO!!!!

P.S.- Look at all those misplaced periods i used.....Hope you could understand it CWMART10

·
Registered
56 Posts
My comments were actually directed to the person who said "paragraphs are your fried". I found it ironic that someone was complaining about structured paragraphs when they can't form sentences themselves.

Great report, Smarty. I enjoyed the read. Keep 'em coming.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.