Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Bioluminescence

14K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  MrFish 
#1 ·
So I'm currently in Seacrest Beach for a friend's wedding and they had the wedding on the beach and reception at a house overlooking the beach. Near the end of the reception, I saw some lightning in the distance and being a storm lover, I walked down to the sand to watch. After about 10 minutes with my eyes adjusted to the dark, a wave came up pretty close to where I was standing then went back out and I'm about 95% positive it left behind some kind of bioluminescence on the sand. Tiny green glowing little bits. I know this can happen out in the open ocean but has anyone ever seen that on the beaches here?

#8 ·
Seen it for years on Perdido. You could drag your foot through the sand and it would glow.

#12 ·
sorry to derail but ive been at bob sikes and there appears to be bioluminescence but it looks like its a fish that is glowing,also i dropped a bridge net and it looked like my cell phone was inn the bottom of it because of how bright it was.does anyone know what this might be.i figure it is some sort of bioluminescence

#15 ·
Its sand fleas. They get a bacteria in them that makes their antennas glow. Thats how we catch them at night on the beach. They sit right below the surface of the sand with their antennas sticking out and when the waves wash the little bit of sand off them the antennas are visible. But, thats only if you get down and look at them close and can see they are in pairs. If they are try scooping infront of them, towards the water, and pulling back to you. You should catch one or two.

#17 ·
Bioluminesence is bacteria that glows in the water in order to get fish and other animals to eat it. The glow you see in the sand is phosphorus.

#19 ·
There is an algae, but also a bacteria. And the bacteria glows to get eaten.

#21 ·
Definitely something from BP that the hurricane stirred up. It's been sitting out there just waiting.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.