Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so i thought my main bilge pump was bad because the fuses kept blowing, and when I put on a big fuse and switched it on, the pump started slow and kept slowing down until it stopped. Also the casing was quite hot. I figure sure, gotta be a bad bilge pump. So I cut it out and just to test touched the wires to the battery leads...and it ran just fine.



Did I miss something and remove a perfectly good piece of equipment?



Chuck
 

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
Joined
·
2,259 Posts
Definately sounds like a short to ground to me. Since you have already removed the pump,drop the original size fuse back in and turn on the switch. Blown fuse=problem somewhere else,possible switch depending on what kind ya got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
If the case of the pump was getting hot then the problem is the pump. Maybe there was some debri in the impeller and it fell out when you pulled it. that has happened to me several times. Hook it to the battery again a let it run in the upright position for a few minutes. If it run normal then putit back in the boat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,757 Posts
SOS is leading you in the right direction.



Did I miss something and remove a perfectly good piece of equipment?


Very possible.



What SOS said or undersized wire and corrosion in the wiring. If the wiring was minumal to begin with [very possible with factory wiring] then some corrosion IN the wiring, then it will draw more current. Thus popping the fuse.



People that don't understand wiring and terminology of wiring will say there is a "Short".



A "Short" will have a direct path to ground. [This can happen with a stalled pump motor] It would make no difference what fuse you put in it if there was a "Short". It would blow in a heart beat. That is "Unless" you put such a BIG fuse in the circuit that the "FUSE" can handle a whole bunch of amperage, at that point the wiring may "NOT" handle the amperage and thur the wiring starts to melt down and smoke/ fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sos, that must have been it.Runs fine now. I would be one of those people who doesn't understand wiring...but I'm learning. Thanks everyone for the help.

Chuck
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top