Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy that gambles on everything he does. And I know he will want to do a biggest fish bet. I need you guys help. I just need to catch the biggest fish on our trip. Numbers doesn’t matter to me. I just want the biggest. I would guess biggest to mean heaviest fish. I just watched a video saying the bigger ones will b suspended above the big pack. Is that accurate?What is your best advice? Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
best advice is to use a big live bait...like a 10-12 inch hardtail. Whether they're suspending above the bottom depends on whether there's other predators in the area in my opinion.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
From all my diving experience, the bigger snapper are usually suspended up off the structure. The bigger the live bait the bigger the bite!.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
A lot of people make the mistake of using too small of a hook. For ARS I prefer a 12/0 owner or other high grade circle hook on 80# flourocarbon leader.
Big bait, and about ten or fifteen cranks off the bottom instead of two or three..My fishing buddies laughed at my hooks to begin with, then after I started pulling up Sows, they all wanted one of my rigs..

·
Registered
593 Posts
When I pull up on a spot I never drop all the way to the bottom and crank back up. I always ease the bait down to the fish so I don't stir them all up. Say in 100ft of water I will drop the bait a ten count. I wait about a minute and if no bite, I drop another five count. Repeat until you either get to the bottom or get bit. Usually you get bit. The theory is the snapper suspend in a hierarchy with the bigger fish on top. If you drop a bait all the way through the fish and bring it back up, fish are chasing the bait the whole way and you basically mix them all up. I use a 12/0 mustad 39960DT hook and 40# flouro leader.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,977 Posts
....I will drop the bait a ten count. I wait about a minute....

I've heard about people having slow days like that.

Never experienced that long of a wait myself :thumbup:

Reactions: Bluecape

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am not an expert by any means, since my biggest ARS is 37 1/2”, 30 pounds. Peace Marvel, a great guide in Venice told me this tip:
A large live boat, or a BIG hunk of Bonita. With the Bonita, bury a 12/0 circle, and drop to a level above the structure. He said he had watched this while diving; small snapper will peck at the bait, but can’t swallow it. A big snapper can’t stand it, and shoulders the little ones aside and engulfs it. Heck it sounded good, and it does work. This was a good one, but not quite as big as my personal best.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts