Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been trying for years to catch a big trout (over 8 lbs or 30"). Ive fished Baffin Bay, Chandeleur, Lake Calcasieu, Biloxi Bayou marsh south of Lake Borgne and Perdido Bay and caught lots of trout just never big ones. The biggest was about 5 lbs. Where and when would you suggest going to have the best chance of catching a true trophy?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Titusville fish mosquito lagoon and Indian river. That's where you want to go to catch a true gator. Thats also where the world record was caught 17lb 7oz. Good luck!
Chad

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
You can also catch them in North Banana River NMZ in that same area. There are plenty of monsters to go around.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Interarrity Pt. Bridge on the ICW

Ok, it was in March 1973-74 or so but I caught more than a dozen over 8# while fishing under the bridge. All were caught on large Pinfish, Pigfish and Croakers. The biggest weighed 10-8. Pinfish smaller than your hand only caught 6 pounders. This was in a period of less than one week. I wish I knew what conditions precipitated such a catch of big fish.

Butch Frith showed me how to catch them.

Back in those days, "Catch and Release" had not been invented.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lake Pontchartrain train trestle. Try different depths around the supports until you locate where they're holding, then hang on. The lake record for trout is 12 pounds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
More and more 30" plus fish are being caught in the panhandle. You just have to fish for the big sows. Stay away from the schoolees. Shallow in the spring. Stealth. Don't expect to catch lots or fish. Did I say shallow.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
More and more 30" plus fish are being caught in the panhandle. You just have to fish for the big sows. Stay away from the schoolees. Shallow in the spring. Stealth. Don't expect to catch lots or fish. Did I say shallow.

Big Bait equals Big Fish! C2

·
Registered
511 Posts
Caught one bout 4:30 in the morn by bridge going to Perdido Key and she weighed 6 lb 9 ounces on berkeley scale. Just to let ya know. She was slipped back in the water. I just can't filet trophy fish.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I have caught many 30+" right here at home in Al. FT Morgan, Little Lagoon, Big Lagoon, etc all have have plenty of big specks if you adjust to a headhunting gameplan and use larger baits, both artificial and natural.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Big Specks

I commercial hook and line fished along with my late Pa-in-Law and we caught literally washtubs of BIG! Sow Speckled Trout.

We caught our own live bait, (mostly pinfish and croakers ); some as large as the palm of your hand. The trout that we caught had no trouble ingesting These large baits.

Of course; it was nice to use his 'honey holes'; locations gathered over several decades/generations of fishing.C2

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am not saying big fish only hit at night but my confidence soars for almost all species fishing under the moonlight. I can be way stelthier at night and seems smaller fish hit less too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to the New Orleans Boat Show a few years back. A guide from St. Charles, LA had a booth there. He had an ice chest with the previous days catch. There was not a fish in the cooler that was less than 10 lbs. So while you can get a single here or there around here, in west LA and Texas, you can truly find those trout schooling.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If fishing during a full moon helps catch big specks at night I have a friend who has a son in law in Minnesota who is a big Muskie throphy guide. He takes clients out at night from say ten pm to three in the am. The friend told me the records that his son in law keep caught more monster muskies five days be for and four days after the full moon. During this period he is booked months in advice. He is got this moon chart down to such a science he can almost predict the time during the night they might catch a monster Muskie. They take pictures, weight and measure the fish maybe tag them and let them go.

So why cant we do the same fishing at night with zara spooks in the zones we think the fish are in or under the lights. Last fall I was at the little lagoon and went over to a fellows old boat and he opened up his ice chest and saw nothing but big female trout at least four to five pounds. He was fishing from one am to about 9 am.

Just wished I new where the big females spawn in April and May in eastern Baldwin County or the East end of the Mobile Bay where I live. If I did I would go after them wade fishing or with my kayak. bob

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ok, it was in March 1973-74 or so but I caught more than a dozen over 8# while fishing under the bridge. All were caught on large Pinfish, Pigfish and Croakers. The biggest weighed 10-8. Pinfish smaller than your hand only caught 6 pounders. This was in a period of less than one week. I wish I knew what conditions precipitated such a catch of big fish.

Butch Frith showed me how to catch them.

Back in those days, "Catch and Release" had not been invented.

Have a very smilioar story but it was the summer of 92. We fished big pinfish at the middle of the 3 miles bridge on the bottom and crushed some monster specs for about a week every night. Solid 6+ lb class fish.

Tried it again over the years and never had any success.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Anyone have any favorite artificials for covering lots of water to locate these bigger trout? As far as trying to locate where big fish are, I can't see covering lots of water slapping big croakers everywhere. I'm sure they can't take that much punishment.

I've often sacrificed quality for quantity and have ended up fishing with small baits and smaller fish tactics which don't seem to cut it for larger trout.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
There are plenty of "spinnerbaits" for reds and specs, but they're cheaper to make yourself. Go get a pack of cocahoe minnows whatever color you want, I like the purple with yellow tail, put it on a 1/4oz jighead, and also purchase a couple of spinners like you would find on a beetlespin or spinnerbait and put that through the eye of the jighead like a spinnerbait. These cover lots of water and since they're farely large in size tend to attract bigger trout. I also like a blue and silver rattletrap to cover water.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
There are plenty of "spinnerbaits" for reds and specs, but they're cheaper to make yourself. Go get a pack of cocahoe minnows whatever color you want, I like the purple with yellow tail, put it on a 1/4oz jighead, and also purchase a couple of spinners like you would find on a beetlespin or spinnerbait and put that through the eye of the jighead like a spinnerbait. These cover lots of water and since they're farely large in size tend to attract bigger trout. I also like a blue and silver rattletrap to cover water.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me one Jonathan,...... gotta check them out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts