Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few years back i was the winder on a private boat whos owners were a couple of guys who owned car lots in Atlanta. id been catching good sized wahoo all day and a bull dolphin. we moved later and i HOOKED UP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the fish got to the boat and it was the biggest sailfish id ever seen. Wayne Russel the lure maker was the deckhand.he grabbed the first gaff handy and hit the fish,,,,,,,,,,,,got it to the rail and it appeared to wiggle off taking the gaff hook with him,,,,,,,,,,,crappy wooden gaff. i told him to get a good gaff and he did,,,,,,,,,,,,,yelling back down to the captain he motored forward,,,,,,,,,,,,,now im hot and watching the fish laying on the top getting farther away. i go to the salon and lay down,,,,,Wayne coming in to talk to me. HE told me i upset the capt by yelling at him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,needless to say it was a somber trip back. stepping off the boat i didnt look back. Wayne who been billfishing since the 50s estimated the fish at 125 and told me it was one if not the biggest sail hed ever seen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,btw that yeara small fish won it for that division,,,,,,,,,,,the yelling at the wrong time cost me that division. Wayne told me i shouldnt have yelled at him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but before Wayne passed on he walked up to me and told me i was right,,,,,,cya up ther Wayne if i make it,,,,smile

1 - 1 of 1 Posts